This is a small tutorial I have written to explain the basics of classes in C++.
What i want to point out is the simplicty this tutorial offers. If you know even just a little bit about C you can learn classes with this tut.
Also notice the use of cartoons which make it attracting for one to read it. Even a child would want to read it by looking at it.
I can convert all icz's tuts like this if you like it. But you will have to give me some time.

I would love to put this as a website but i am no wizard at html or any web programming languages so i am just providing it in doc format right now.

P.S.- It will ask you for a password while opening the file. So you open the file as read-only. I have put the password so that nobody modifies the copyright signs
Posted on 2001-12-22 06:36:54 by MovingFulcrum
Thats a nice tutorial, very easy to follow :) .

Personally thouhg I'd prefeer it with none or maybe just fewer cartoons. And I don't think Iczelions tutorial would transfer well to this style of tutorial. Its better suited to techniques and styles rather than technical tutorials.

Just my opinion though. And it still a very nice tutorial :alright:
Posted on 2001-12-22 07:08:23 by Eóin
Thanks Eoin,
The tutorial is nto meant for geeks like you but for newbies. Think about it , how confused you were when you first started learning C++ or asm. Think about how confused any newbie is. This kind of a tutorial can increase his interest in the subject and even make him carry on with the tut. The cartoons though seem a lot, make the atmosphere light for him.
The concept of something being tough or easy is all in the brain. The use of cartoons gives a msg to the reader that this topic is easy. It is not tough. Look at the what the cartoons keep saying. They always keep saying that "this is so easy or this is so simple". It creates a mental impact on the reader.
Sure the icz's tuts sound very easy to you but they are not as easy for the newbie. Noone had ever thought before this that C++ or classes could be taught like this. Icz's tuts can be made easy too and i can take out the technical sounding stuff from it, though still keeping the main objective of the tutorial intact so as to make it a piece of cake for the reader. But only if you people agree. Remember icz's tuts are for beginners and not for advanced geeks like you :)
My aim by this making this tutorial is to make learning asm or c++ fun. It should not be something that should be understood only by geeks, but anyone can understand it.
If you all agree, i can somehow take out my time from IDE development and normal life and extend these tuts, for C++ and for asm.:)
Edit:
The excessive use of cartoons made the tut seem kiddish didnt it:) That was what my aim was:) So now atleast you wont look at the topic explained as real advanced stuff.
Posted on 2001-12-22 08:27:55 by MovingFulcrum
I prefer Iczelion's tut style, not cartoons. The fact that I'm 24 might be important there :tongue:

and for protecting a doc, passwording doesn't help. look:

I did not used any password, just the document in read-only form.

(select all | copy | paste is king :-/ )
Posted on 2001-12-22 08:29:10 by Hiroshimator
That's how I would protect a Tutorial:

http://www.x-mail.net/bazik/classes1.pdf

(Hiro, please add pdf as a valid extension)
Posted on 2001-12-22 09:10:47 by bazik
hey fulcy,

you called the dog "Tommy", why me?? ;)

nop
Posted on 2001-12-22 11:28:37 by NOP-erator
Actually copyrights aside, what i want to do is convert this ino a web page so that more people can view it easily. I will be writing more tuts so it wotn do to always keep posting on forums.

If somebody can guide me a bit to convert this into a web page, it could be very useful. I tried with dreamweaver but whenever i insert the image the rest of the text comes below it and not besides it. In Word, the alignment of the pics goes haiwaie when i save it as a web page.

As for the cartoons, everybody please try this. Copy, paste only the text of the tutorial in notepad and tell me does it still feel that nice a tutorial?:)

Nop-Operator:
hehe, sorry i didnt know your name was tommy. Btw, tommy is a common name for dogs here in India ;)
Posted on 2001-12-22 11:34:30 by MovingFulcrum
First you say thanks, then you call me a geek... :(

If you want to make them as web pages then I suggest using dreamweaver as it's much better than word once you get used to it. The alignment problem you were having can be fixed by right clicking on a picture once its inserted and trying the different options under the align sub menu.

Can I make one last recomendation, you should do the code samples as text inside a 1x1 table not as an image, that way people will be able to copy and paste it. Theres nothing worse than trying to type something thats in one window to another.
Posted on 2001-12-22 12:21:41 by Eóin
I tried with dreamweaver

Ahh, toughen up, real men use Notepad ;)
but whenever i insert the image the rest of the text comes below it and not besides it.
If you want exact positioning for an image, use a div, which is a layer (with a z-order) that you can place text or images on.
In Word, the alignment of the pics goes haiwaie when i save it as a web page.
Try this: drag and drop the Word file into Notepad, and check out all the extra shit (XML and mark-up tags) that Word inserts to display the page correctly. Now try to find where it has the formatting for the image. Happy searching :)
Posted on 2001-12-22 14:15:02 by sluggy

Try this: drag and drop the Word file into Notepad, and check out all the extra shit (XML and mark-up tags) that Word inserts to display the page correctly. Now try to find where it has the formatting for the image. Happy searching

Dreamweaver actually has an option to remove all the useless things word puts in it's html output. It doesn't work perfectly but it helps a lot.

Thomas
Posted on 2001-12-22 16:02:18 by Thomas
Thanks guys,
I have made the website. I had a few errors in my last tut. corrected that too. Even wrote a new tut !.
As for the sources, you can dl sources for each tut by clicking on the link provided below each tut.

Find everything at www.geocities.com/prashantdeva

First you say thanks, then you call me a geek...

Accept it. You are one :grin:
Posted on 2001-12-23 06:13:12 by MovingFulcrum
Those tuts are 'cute' - they should break up the rigor of learning for non-computer people or children. Unfortunately, us geeks need something more rigorus. All that fluff gets in the way of the learning.
Posted on 2001-12-23 11:21:18 by bitRAKE
Tutes are as varied as the number of people who write them and this is probably a good thing as I have seen enough that I don't like and it would be no joy if you were saddled with a format that did not do what you wanted.

I am inclined to prefer stuff that most people can run so plain ascii text is reliable and winhelp format will run on most things if you need fancier display. HTML is an OK format as long as you stay away from the later Microsoft specific formats that require their stuff to display it properly.

If you cannot run it from a UNIX server and display it in Netscape, then many people will not be able to read it.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2001-12-23 21:16:38 by hutch--
Well anyway, I have updated the site with one more tutorial and a guestbook.
Posted on 2001-12-24 02:40:55 by MovingFulcrum
Well, nice tutorials,
and I like your cartoons very much.

I hate any books without illustrations and tiny print.
Posted on 2001-12-24 03:36:08 by forge
Thanks forge :)
Posted on 2001-12-24 10:24:01 by MovingFulcrum
i really enjoyed your tutorials and actually learned alot. i bet these tutorials will be helpful to many. keep up the good work.
Posted on 2001-12-24 21:05:55 by smurf
Thanks smurf :)
I notice many people are still downloading tutorials from here. The one posted here has an error in it , so please everyone obtain the tutorials from my website rather. It has the error corrected plus i have even added two more tutorials:)
Click here to go to the website
Posted on 2001-12-25 01:56:55 by MovingFulcrum
Actually, I think it is an original initiative, but the cartoons makes the tut not so easy to follow in my opinion.

I prefer "classical" tuts where the only pics are screenshots and diagrams.

Yeah, sure it's boring... but it is clean, neat, clear, and that is what i need to learn properly...

Many people like kids, as BitRake said, would like it, though... but what will happen when they will read more "technical-styled" docs ?

Otherwise, good work :alright:
Posted on 2001-12-26 05:09:48 by JCP
grat work MovingFulcrum i like it very much
a real refresh form "classical" text-only tuts

for those who dont like pictures in tutorials remember one picture can be more descriptive than 1000 words :)
Posted on 2001-12-26 15:56:31 by Mikky