Or "long live nvidia for making well-tested stable driver packages".

A couple of days ago, I installed more recent NForce4 platform drivers and GeForce video drivers, after which video acceleration went poof and my net card was no longer detected. I work a lot at the moment, so it's limited how much time I have for fixing the box again. And luck be it that I have thrown away my old unattended install CD.

Today I made a new unattended setup that installed fine in vmware, but when I tried installing "for real" with it, it refused to install to my raid mirror - botched driver integration. I'll try again tomorrow with some older nForce4 drivers, hopefully that'll fix it. And yes, I have to integrate drivers, as I have no floppy drive.

Long live nVidia... fsckers.

PS: thanks to my girlfriend for letting me borrow her laptop to type this :)
Posted on 2006-07-12 16:07:48 by f0dder
I continue to hear people complaining about nVidia.  I will be certain to never own that adapter...

Buy another adapter.
Paul
Posted on 2006-07-12 22:52:55 by PBrennick
Well, to be fair, I've had far less problems with nVidia graphics cards than I've had with ATI... Here's what ATI drivers can do for you: http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=17926.0

Also, my system has been rock solid stable, I wanted to upgrade graphics drivers to resolve a few (minor) glitches in a single game, and the nForce4 drivers mainly because there was a new version available.

Oh well, next computer I buy will be an intel. Probably gonna be a few years, though. But <3 intel chipsets <3, and their new generation of CPUs sounds very promising!
Posted on 2006-07-13 03:03:22 by f0dder
I thought it was awkward, when playing Deus Ex 2, that the computer would simply reset (triple-fault like) when entering a particular section of a particular level (Germany I think it was)... all because of the GeForce/Detonator drivers that were out at the time. I had to revert to an older version in order to play *that* particular part of the game.

That is the only time I have ever had an issue with nVidia, but it was a weird and annoying one... especially when you don't even get an error message.
Posted on 2006-07-13 03:24:02 by SpooK
The (nVidia) even had issues with the "hardware cursor" while playing Project IGI (v1) too. The "solution"  :shock: :shock: was to use the 21 series older drivers (ACK!!!)
Posted on 2006-07-13 04:02:05 by shantanu_gadgil
People, games are the root of all evil! Stop playing them and you wont have any problems with video drivers.  :D

Running here an ancient GeForce4 for over four years without a single glitch.  :P
Posted on 2006-07-13 04:21:39 by arafel

I have the crappiest video card :(

Diamond Stealth pos, it has hardware vertex processing and thats ALL it has.. no hardware TL (no lighting), no shader support, no nuffin.
It's sure interesting developing 3D stuff that scales to hardware which I have no access to :P

Posted on 2006-07-13 13:19:12 by Homer
Okay, great. Friggin' great.

I made a new slipstreamed XP install CD with drivers integrated. Tested it under vmware, worked just fine. At install time I had to unplug my IDE disk, otherwise it got a bit confused (setup thought I wanted to install to the IDE disk even though I selected the RAID mirror... perhaps that should have been a clue).

Install went smoothly, everything looked good... until the first "real" after-install boot. *boom*, BSOD and reboot. As a result, I now can't even boot a windows-without-networking-support. And I can't install to the IDE disk since it has an extended partition, and windows wants at least one primary partition.

Fortunately I have a bunch of old more-or-less defunct IDE disks lying around, so I can make a windows install on one of those, and (hopefully >_<) make a working slipstreamed install.

*sigh*

Problem is probably the recent version of the nForce4 drivers. Yay for nvidia for releasing drivers that haven't been properly tested.
Posted on 2006-07-14 03:46:43 by f0dder
When my card overheated, I'd either get an error in the nv4_disp.dll or if I was lucky, some weird junk that seems to happen when drawing stuff like walls, and when it has to layer things overtop of eachother (like hiding part of a tree model in the ground) and you'd get small rectangles or triangles that didn't get rendered properly, and showed what was below things. stuff like that. Note, the fist error was an auto-reboot untill I disabled that (annoying) option. But of course, it's windows and I still need to reboot to get rid of the BSOD... This was on a GeForce FX 5600. (with a shitty fan that I had to replace and am still waiting for the paypal payment to go through on so they can ship the goddamned thing.)
Posted on 2006-07-14 09:05:40 by Bobbias
Finally!

I now have a working 32bit XP slipstreamed and tweaked install again. Perhaps it wasn't (just) the nvidia drivers that had problems, but nLite as well. At any rate, rebuilding the slipstream with most-most recent nLite and redownloaded drivers did the trick.

To do this, however, I had to jump through a lot of hoops, borrowed SATA drive and a temporary XP-64 install. At least I've lost no data, just a lot of time.

There's some more tweaking and a reinstall to do (I didn't want to spend too much time tweaking the install before I knew whether it'd work), and then reinstalling all the non-trivial apps (office, vmware, bla bla bla. I have a lot of tools intalled automatically with the slipstreamed CD, but not stuff requiring drivers or tons of registry entries and system files).

Real life does take a lot of my precious time though :P, there's not much free room between work, girlfriend, and all those things like shopping and cleaning. Hopefully my system will be in a decent state sometime during the weekend.

Ciao! :)
Posted on 2006-07-17 16:14:35 by f0dder
You should thank your lucky stars you dont own an ATI, there driverset now DEMANDS .net framework is installed. THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMELS BACK!!! :mad:
Never,ever,ever will i buy ATI again!

This weekend i went out and bought Geforce fx550. any one wanna shi**y radeon 9250! :D

Im off to play out the copy a doom3 thats sat idle in my cupboard for OVER A YEAR.............
(yes,im talking to you ATI!  :P)
Posted on 2006-07-17 18:25:47 by asmrixstar
lol asmrixstar... I had one specific game staying on the shelf for 1 year, since my nVidia card displayed it incorrectly - half of the normals being flipped, half of the gourad polys garbaged, half of the textured polys incorrect. Later when I bought a R9200, the game turned out to be the best one ever for me. This week I was planning on finally getting some newer card, partly because I want to try PixelShader2 coding. (maybe since i'm very frustrated now of coding too many game-maths libs and polyfillers for a RISC cpu that doesn't have FPU..). Anyway, I chose R9600 (I'm on a budget), a bit hoping it does support ps2.1, too. Otherwise a R9550GE was my choice. In a few hours it's shipping. Using Omega Radeon, I don't have any problems (but ATi's catalyst drivers were no good iirc).
Also, maybe it only seems to me this way - but aren't N's rendered graphics a bit horrible? Judging by PNG (lossless) screenshots and having seen CSS on an N card.
The only problem with my current R9200 is that two freeware Japanese sh'm'ups, using obsolete OpenGL, behave in the way my nVidia card was doing with that favourite game of mine.

PS: just to let me shout like you, too, remembering the endless hours of fighting nVidia driver problems, actually getting my first PC to boot with that card, and sufferring years of horrible graphics:
Never,ever,ever will i buy nVidia (videocard) again!
:P
Posted on 2006-07-17 21:20:19 by Ultrano
lol ,
I swore black and blue that i would never buy nvidia (Voodoo fan :D) but ati have just pushed me too far!!
Are the Atis graphics better? mmm yeah but you have to push the LOD bias RIGHT back since they set ridiculously close, this usually means u end up running it slightly slow than on an NV card bcos of the extra proc-power required!. 
I never really had a problem with the gfxs side, but ati's biggest problem for me has always been driver support.They simply dont give a f**k and forcing a user to load in .net just to configure texture preference in laughable!

Actually some of the blame could be put at Nv's door for ati's 'issues'.They're clearly leveraging their product though games.

I recently BOUGHT sid whatever's civ4 and after the inevitable gfx screw up I searched for hours (literaly!) though the fraxis web site only to find in some deep dark corner of it pages:
1. My gfx drivers were out of date (Blatent lie! updated 2 days earlier,still current!)
2. I hadnt installed it properly (WRONG, followed the install procedure to the letter!)
3. oh, erm, ....actually you dared to buy a non-Nv gfx card!!
Now you'll have to dl a program that decompesses the textures from an nv specific format!(took 35 min on my 3.2 ghz pc!) .Itll take up more room on your hard drive but you will be able to 'play' the game at 2 frames a second!

And the award for biggest nv-boot-licking-fanboys goes to .....
(pause for dramatic effect)
FRAXIS Software

So for me to go out and buy one should suggest my disgust at ati.
put simply : Ati didnt accidentally lose a customer they threw one away!

also:any ati users i recommend ATI Tray Tools
(its a sys tray app that does everything that ATI say they need the .net framework to do :shock:)
Posted on 2006-07-17 23:50:03 by asmrixstar
You might want to try dna-drivers. I've used them to to tweak a little more juice and stability out of ATI cards (nVidia support is also included these days).

I don't know if they avoided the .Net issue somehow, but let us know... if you choose to try them :)
Posted on 2006-07-18 00:01:26 by SpooK
yeah they did mate, they still use the old control panel system.
ie. no .net
Its sad that third party driver are better than Ati's own!
(In every respect! Ive used them)

I actually didnt know they did an Nv version (brb :P )
Posted on 2006-07-18 00:18:43 by asmrixstar
Sorry to bump such an old topic (that seem to have got 'jacked anyway  :oops: )
Just no let anyone who cares know that i opted for a hacked set of drivers called

NGO NVIDIA Optimized Driver v1.9131

and they are working much better than the ones i had installed. Loads of my games 'feel' more responsive and they seem very stable! :)
(Cod2,Ut2k,etc)

thanx for letting my unload on y'all  :D
Posted on 2006-07-25 00:00:57 by asmrixstar
A bit offtopic, too.. HDR rendering - wow. I got the R9600, and the first game to test was CSS .. looking at de_dust and cs_militia - these days I found myself comparing real lighting to the HDR ^^". Some time ago I didn't believe polygon-fillers could look+perform better than raytracing.
Also, there turned out to be many people who notice the superior graphics quality of ATi cards, and their inferior framerate - might be other artists :).
Btw, today I heard the news AMD is officially acquiring ATi... rumors are that in the near future they'll integrate cpu+gpu on a single dye.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154521.html?tag=nl.e513
Posted on 2006-07-25 04:46:53 by Ultrano