Hi guys :D i am a total newbie in assembly and i was wondering if you could help me pick an assembler, propose a book i could read, or in general what should i do in order to make my first steps in the assembly world.....

thanks in advance an sorry if i posted in the wrong section,

nicolas
Posted on 2006-08-03 16:05:49 by nicolas
What is your programming background (what languages do you already know)???
Posted on 2006-08-03 18:51:46 by SpooK
It really depends on what you want to accomplish.
I'd recommend MASM, and I'd recommend Iczelion's tutorials.
There's nothing wrong with NASM per se, but the majority of tutorials are written for MASM, so it might be wise to start there, otherwise you'll have problems trying to build executables from the source provided for many of the tutorials you will encounter.

There's no universal syntax for assemblers... this should have been addressed years ago, but it's a problem to this day.
Sources for various assemblers will appear VERY similar, but will almost always require a few changes to suit a different assembler.
Posted on 2006-08-04 01:50:57 by Homer
You will have no real issues, as MASM/NASM/FASM/TASM all derive from Intel assembly language syntax... much like learning different dialects of the same language. GAS/GNU derive from AT&T assembly language syntax, which "looks" similar, but is completely different altogether.

I 2nd Homer's recommendation of MASM + Iczelion's tutorials. If you come from a high-level background (C++/Java), you might want to also look into Randy Hyde's HLA (High Level Assembler) material. Everything can be found by searching Google or this board ;)
Posted on 2006-08-04 02:51:27 by SpooK
thanks for your help:)
Posted on 2006-08-09 14:21:23 by nicolas