hello to all native english people :) I read, that ending an email with "Best regards" or "Finest regards" is suitable for well known contacts, but using only "regards" is somewhat unfriendly - is this correct?
Posted on 2006-08-11 05:02:49 by beaster
Is that the case? I have always used "Regards"  ;)
Posted on 2006-08-11 05:56:38 by roticv
I don't really know, Beaster - but I tend to use "Best regards" myself. It seems a bit clumsy, IMHO, but I really don't know what else to end a generic mail template with :)

(Non-native English speaker here, being Danish and all).
Posted on 2006-08-11 06:25:01 by f0dder
I use "kind regards" myself but just "regards" is also a friendly way to sign off.
Posted on 2006-08-11 13:49:45 by Eóin
Non-native English speakers tend to "over do" the kindness, but I can see why.

"Regards" is perfectly acceptable, and it gets to the point. "Best regards" is OK too, but I rarely hear "Kind regards".

At any rate, saying "Regards" is probably the best way to formally sign-off (i.e. someone you don't really know).

However, if you want to achieve the opposite... just say "my friend" in a post :P
Posted on 2006-08-11 15:51:17 by SpooK
I'm not a native speaker but ...

regardsgood wishes - used when sending your good wishes to someone or when ending a short letter or message
My husband sends his regards.
Hope to see you soon. Regards, Chris
(with) kind/best regards (=used to end a letter in a friendly but rather formal way)
Posted on 2006-08-11 16:02:58 by Dite
I use "regards" in emails only when addressing a customer. Otherwise, I rarely write such a footer.

My boss' signature is

Regards,
<name>
<job title>
<company name>
Phone: <phone>
Fax:  <fax>
Web:  <URL>
<company motto>
Posted on 2006-08-11 17:39:49 by Ultrano
'Kindest regards' or 'best regards' is a very friendly response.
I have never heard it put as 'finest regards' and I'm not sure that is correct usage either.
Just 'regards' to me comes across as a quick note, less personal, such as comparing "Thank you very much" vs "Thanks".  So it depends on who is receiving the note.
Posted on 2006-08-11 17:57:13 by drhowarddrfine
many thanks for these replies .. so I do not need to apologize to a number of email recipients :)
Posted on 2006-08-14 03:32:01 by beaster
i'm a native english speaker and rarely if ever write 'regards'

if anything i put:

thanks
-- my name

but if i'm not asking a question, i just end with my name.

i wouldn't be insulted with the lack 'regards', kind or not :D
Posted on 2006-08-14 18:57:19 by abc123