Does anybody have any experiene or any kind of resource related to the memory management routines for 80x86 in the real mode? I have been trying to create my own memory management routines like malloc and etc but no dice yet.
Posted on 2006-08-17 23:46:35 by XCHG
You could take a look at the malloc provided by Elks-LibC. The source is in C, but it should give you some idea of what to do.

Stepping into the realm of bare memory management design, and the like, is pushing more towards OS Development than standard DOS/BIOS programming. So Google up some 16-bit Real Mode OS Projects that have source, and take a gander at the memory management implementations, it should give you some better ideas of what to do.
Posted on 2006-08-17 23:56:39 by SpooK
Hey thanks for the help, well it's my ultimate goal to be able to develop an operating system and i'm trying so hard to learn as much as i can so i guess you guys have been a great help in here. I appreciate it once again.
Posted on 2006-08-20 12:23:49 by XCHG
If your aim is os-dev, and you're not aiming for a 16bit OS, you might as well implement the memory manager as 32bit code running under windows... You can use VirtualAlloc to grab hold of a big chunk of memory (say, 64megs, not an unrealistic amount for embedded x86 machines), then do your own memory management of that chunk...
Posted on 2006-08-20 14:50:08 by f0dder
Oh yeah that'd be a good idea but right now i guess i have to get these memory management routines over with because i've been dreaming of writing my own since like the stone age.
Posted on 2006-08-22 22:24:20 by XCHG