I need the most cheap and dirty method I can find to interrupt a standard house current supply. That of coarse in the US would be 15 amps at 120 VAC. I've looked at these Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter and all the GFCI's have a make shift relay with huge copper contacts laid into custom plastic molding. This doesn't seem too cheap especially when the cheapest one I could find at ACE hardware was almost 17 dollars. I found and have used a relay that was pre-UL approved but even in large quantities they want something like $4.50 USDs a peice for them. I can't use TRIACs because of there inherent characteristic of 1 ohm per amp power dissapation. At 15 Amps the heat sink becomes rather hefty in size. I have also thought about possibly taking a circuit breaker and use a TRIAC to place a dead short accross it but not sure that would work either. Would probably pop the hot box circuit panel breakers first. Open for suggestions thank----------mrgone
Posted on 2006-08-24 08:16:51 by mrgone
Posted on 2006-08-24 09:17:29 by JimG
  Good work jimG! What do I owe ya?...lol. I got both data sheets saved. Thay got the electrical specs! I got to go over those dimentions but the price is right! Yeah relay is probably safest way to go. I think the first one had a 6 volt coil operating voltage too. Excellent! The one I was using was 40 VDC so I needed extra circuits to operate. Thank man!
Posted on 2006-08-24 13:00:27 by mrgone
The triacs would've been trouble, I guess that's what a friend of my father used to build such a system, and have his apartment burn. For that reason I wasn't allowed to make anything like that for my room  while I was into electronics :| . 
Posted on 2006-08-30 11:21:52 by Ultrano