Yeah, i have a friends of mine that own Core2Duo and overclocked it to 4 GHz clock speed.He told me that is spent more money for the quality memory and motherboard than the processor.
High clock has price  - expensive memory, motherboard and chipsets.
Posted on 2006-11-28 13:07:44 by hydra

Understanding the improvements of C2D, I rest assured AMD won't take long to strike back :)  (a fanboy here).

Haha, fun to read back those old topics, isn't it? :)
Posted on 2009-07-06 08:38:27 by Scali
:D it took AMD quite a while, yes. Phenom II looks nice, at least. Just yesterday was making a configuration of the "long-lasting for cheap" kind for a friend, a 'Phenom II X2 550 BE' looks like the biggest bang for the buck.
Meanwhile I changed sides: had money, needed almost-highest performance, large L2 matters, overclocking matters, 2-thread matters. (stupid Java-based IDEs and simulators).  e8500 (stepping E0) @ 4.5GHz, DDR3 @ 2GHz timing 7-7-7-20 ; though I run the thing most times at 3.8 : 1.6 GHz respectively.

It's a pity for my purposes the only upgradable component would be e8500->e8600 ; that goddamn tendency to increase cores, make shared cache exclusive and smaller - doesn't give me hopes for the future. Only 3DSmax and video-editing users rejoice.
Posted on 2009-07-06 14:41:09 by Ultrano

:D it took AMD quite a while, yes. Phenom II looks nice, at least.

Well, Phenom II hasn't quite caught up to Core2 yet, but Intel has already moved on to Core i7 :)
Posted on 2009-07-06 14:44:45 by Scali
Yes, 35% performance bump for $800 (350%) more when you compare highest-end products. At least the 920 is nicely priced; while lower-end users are covered by AMD.

Pity we don't get benchmarks for sw-dev tools.

P.S for the non-dev high-performance stuff that I use, I've seen only negative benchmarks from i7. Just look at PCSX2.
Posted on 2009-07-06 15:00:55 by Ultrano

Yes, 35% performance bump for $800 (350%) more when you compare highest-end products. At least the 920 is nicely priced; while lower-end users are covered by AMD.

Pity we don't get benchmarks for sw-dev tools.

Still not quite over AMD, are you? :)
Yes, the 920 is nicely priced, in fact it has unbeatable price/performance ratio.
And soon Intel will release mainstream versions of the Nehalem architecture, in the form of Core i3/i5, which will come with more affordable motherboards. That will make the value of 920 trickle down Intel's entire productline, and give AMD something to think about yet again.

That's the problem with AMD... they still don't have new technology. All they've been doing is dropping prices again and again. They haven't developed the technology that can beat Intel. And at this rate, I doubt they will, because they're not making enough money to invest in product development on the long term.
Posted on 2009-07-06 15:17:48 by Scali
Nah, I'm just saying AMD and Intel both have everybody covered. HPGaming? Sorry, most of us gamers moved to consoles. This dickery of DX10's rough transition was enough, Khronos and AMD's ATi disgrace themselves,  PCs for cheap can do everything 98% of people need.
I actually despise AMD and Intel. For Radeon HD and GMA. And splitting caches.
Posted on 2009-07-06 15:46:06 by Ultrano
PCs for cheap can do everything 98% of people need.

My words exactly to most people asking me for advice on what PC to buy. :thumbsup:
Posted on 2009-07-06 21:14:57 by JimmyClif

Nah, I'm just saying AMD and Intel both have everybody covered. HPGaming? Sorry, most of us gamers moved to consoles. This dickery of DX10's rough transition was enough, Khronos and AMD's ATi disgrace themselves,  PCs for cheap can do everything 98% of people need.
I actually despise AMD and Intel. For Radeon HD and GMA. And splitting caches.

I'm just saying that a few years ago, it was AMD with the "35% performance bump for $800 (350%)" processors. Remember Athlon FX? AMD processors are only cheap today because their performance isn't good enough to demand the higher prices. The prices are always on an exponential scale, regardless of whether it's Intel or AMD. It's just how the economy works.
So when you bring up "35% performance bump for $800 (350%)" in response to Core i7, I think that's a bit strange. Especially when in the next sentence you have to admit that the 920 is priced neatly.
And you say lower-end users are covered by AMD, completely ignoring all the Core2 Quads and Core2 Duos that Intel is selling at very attractive prices.

Hence I said you don't seem quite over AMD yet, it sounded like a very slanted remark to me.
Posted on 2009-07-07 02:24:19 by Scali

:D it took AMD quite a while, yes. Phenom II looks nice, at least. Just yesterday was making a configuration of the "long-lasting for cheap" kind for a friend, a 'Phenom II X2 550 BE' looks like the biggest bang for the buck.
Meanwhile I changed sides: had money, needed almost-highest performance, large L2 matters, overclocking matters, 2-thread matters. (stupid Java-based IDEs and simulators).  e8500 (stepping E0) @ 4.5GHz, DDR3 @ 2GHz timing 7-7-7-20 ; though I run the thing most times at 3.8 : 1.6 GHz respectively.

It's a pity for my purposes the only upgradable component would be e8500->e8600 ; that goddamn tendency to increase cores, make shared cache exclusive and smaller - doesn't give me hopes for the future. Only 3DSmax and video-editing users rejoice.

I have the same CPU but I didn't have the balls to overclock it this far. Are you sure that thing's gonna last you?
Posted on 2009-07-07 07:38:06 by ChaperonNoir

I have the same CPU but I didn't have the balls to overclock it this far. Are you sure that thing's gonna last you?
it's  @ 1.304V for 3.8GHz and @1.365V for 4.5 . 50C and 70C respectively at max load. 37C at idle (27C ambient right now). Of course, I'm using a nice aftermarket cooler with copper heatpipes.
Posted on 2009-07-07 10:41:24 by Ultrano
Nice overclock :D

I bought the parts to overclock mine but I never installed them because I thought at the time that the stock speed was enough for everything I did.
It still bugs me a bit that these parts are doing nothing.

This is my setup :
ASUS P5Q Pro
Intel E8500
Mushkin XP PC2-8000 Redline 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-12
Diamond Radeon HD 4850 512MB
cpu fan in box : Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Case : ANTEC P182
Antec Truepower Trio 650W

Do you think that I could get a decent overclock, Ultrano?
Posted on 2009-07-07 14:19:32 by ChaperonNoir
Yes, definitely. Especially if the cpu is E0 (and not C0 iirc). You might need to leave your PC case open, as that cpu-fan is huge.
4x444 FSB is a sweet spot for many, 4x500 is max.
For me, only at 3.8GHz : 1.6GHz my dev-tools became usable. (imagine 10-minute iteration times before the upgrade... T_T)
Posted on 2009-07-07 16:10:52 by Ultrano