Hi there,

I am trying to find out how to close a connection on a serial port that was left open by an application that terminated and did not close the connection nicely. The only way i know now is by restarting the computer, which is annoying and time consuming.
After reading the documentation i am rather sceptical that can be done other than with a driver, which is too much trouble really ;).

Any ideas are welcomed.

Eugen

Posted on 2006-08-30 09:14:35 by Eugen
Hm, the serial port isn't freed when an application terminates? Is this 9x or NT or both?

Posted on 2006-08-30 10:06:04 by f0dder

Hm, the serial port isn't freed when an application terminates? Is this 9x or NT or both?

The computer where the problem is has XP installed.

Its a colleague of mine that has these problems, with 2 applications he uses for serial communication, one its Hyperterminal and another one i cant remember the name now. Apparently with each one the problem occurs from time to time, when he closes the application forgetting to close the connection first. This is not happening very often, but when it happens he's forced to restart the comp which is not nice, he has all kinds of apps started..

I don't think there is any easy solution, because access to serial port is exclusive using normal APIs, but one can only hope ;)

Eugen

Posted on 2006-08-31 02:29:06 by Eugen
Bummer.

Perhaps it's possible with some sysinternals tool, but I haven't looked into it... weird that the port isn't freed on termination, NT is usually pretty good at doing cleanup.
Posted on 2006-08-31 08:30:38 by f0dder