Hi people,

is there any place where I can find information on internet about interrupt hooks on windows 2000, XP? I'd like to start doing something like SoftIce, under windows itself. I could get a driver book but I don't trust very much to buy through the net, furthermore it takes some time to arrive.. so any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Posted on 2006-08-30 21:25:17 by bimas
there is this open-source-cross-platform-ring0-debugger if you are interested..(i never tried it)
http://rr0d.droids-corp.org/
rasta man  :D

ps: read the "RR0D for dummys" section :D
Posted on 2006-08-30 22:55:18 by drizz
Amazon.co.uk is safe to buy from, I've shopped a lot there. As long as you stick to major sites and avoid obvious phishing scams, don't be worried. There's been a couple examples of large companies being hacked (or having laptops with customer data stolen, sigh) lately, but they all offer refunds if you're robbed that way. Also, if you have a VISA credit card, you have pretty decent protection unless your bank is a bunch of numbnuts. I had my VISA stolen at work, abused for ~$100 before I got it blocked, and had everything refunded.

As for your project, it's a major undertaking. You'll really need to hook into DirectDraw in order to support most cards, you'll probably need a keyboard driver, etc. Try googling for "crudeice", perhaps wkr will be willing to chat with you if you have problems.

Also note that this board isn't the most suitable place to talk about this issue - you WILL need to do some kernel reverse engineering, and even though it's "probably legal" to do this since you're doing it for interop purposes, the lines are grey and we want to avoid problems here.
Posted on 2006-08-31 08:28:08 by f0dder

Also note that this board isn't the most suitable place to talk about this issue - you WILL need to do some kernel reverse engineering, and even though it's "probably legal" to do this since you're doing it for interop purposes, the lines are grey and we want to avoid problems here.

No heart feelings but I don't like that behaviour of "Forum Guys". If It's in grey zone, that means all of assembly is in the grey zone.
At least, I though that way. I'm not trying to insulting someone but maybe should reconsider thats
Posted on 2006-08-31 17:40:02 by Dite
No, people are in the grey zone, because you can't honestly gauge their intentions online.

Read the Community Rules, it has been considered and reconsidered over the years... and the rules we have on RE is what we are comfortable with. Other than that, it is simple math. People smart enough to RE don't need to ask questions that most unwanted newbie wannabe crackers ask. If you have been here long enough, you would have noticed that more people ask stupid and illegitimate questions then those that require skill and thought. Obviously, bimas' question is well thought-out... but still lacks any serious research on his behalf (simple Google/Amazon/Half.com/E-Bay/etc.. searches). He has his answer, none-the-less.

If you want to do straight-up RE, goto a place that is dedicated in handling it... like Woodmann's RCE Forum.
Posted on 2006-09-01 01:37:09 by SpooK
Don't worry, I will ...
Posted on 2006-09-01 04:25:49 by Dite
I been reading at our boards for quite a while picking up bites and pieces for my own assembly experience.  Never got it all in my spare time but it still the GREATEST legal boards ever.  Why all of a sudden even our pro's use DIRECT  words like *reverse *ngineering* and *irus*.

Everyone use to at lease cover it up with SOMETHING or get fussed out because whoever did not,  and you don't drop a smart a** lip about it.

I know nothing about this but even a Gray Zone may not stop when a person of interest start searching with good or unpopular notorious search engines.

Seem like an invitation to me or a sign of weakness zooming in around these places:(

Hope i'm wrong but i'm seriously beginning to wondering about what i been seeing lately.

You are dame right,,, i like to learn about it but not at a place like this that has taught most of us to do BETTER.

Anyway, if that's what it take that to win and is the way of the world these days because of new legal understanding or has been founded to be used in todays or future m$ OS for a minimum of protection and not just for ripping ... so-be-it and let those losers war begin to find where the real trap is. ..  This is not a warning.  It's a fact.  For ever action there is an equal but opposite reaction that will work.

These are my thoughts as of this minute.  Sorry if im reading in wrongly.
Posted on 2006-09-02 02:01:59 by ic2