Hi, I know absolutely nothing.  Ok, I know english, but nothing else.  Err, and how to use forums.

Anyway, I have a 64 bit AMD computer, Windows 64 Pro, and I figure that by the time I know anything useful about ASM and am making my own useable programs, that'll be the standard.  So, I'd like to learn how to program ASM in a 64 bit enviroment.  I bought a few books ASM programming, but they recommend things like using DEBUGGER from MS-DOS, which 64 doesn't have.

Basically, the thrust of my rabblings is this...

Is there a good place to learn PC 64 bits ASM programming from using up to date assemblers and debuggers (and linkers, may need one of those)?

It amazes me that through all my searches of books and tutorials, I didn't come up with one.  I was hoping those 'in the know' could give me a little help.
Posted on 2006-08-30 21:38:07 by Regen
Well, you can't learn 64-bit asm without learning 32-bit asm since 64-bit asm i just an 'extension' to the 32-bit one. 64-bit asm has more registers, they're all 64-bit, you get some new instructions, some old instructions behave a little bit different so they can work in 64-bit environment... and that's it. If you know 32-bit asm, then you 'almost know' 64-bit asm.
Posted on 2006-08-31 00:31:55 by ti_mo_n
You might want to start with 32bit assembly indeed, it's most supported and you wont run into as many problems. 64bit assembly is still pretty much a "frontier" kind of thing.

As for assemblers supporting 64bit... fasm, goasm, yasm at least. The gnu 'gas' assembler, if you're into that kind of thing. Iirc most recent MASM as well. Probably some more.
Posted on 2006-08-31 08:29:51 by f0dder
Ah, well, in that case...

What about good books/tutorials for 32 bit that use up to date programs?  I've downloaded windbg for example, but I can't find any 'very beginner' guides to it's use.  I've downloaded both FASM and YASM, but have no clue how to use them as my materials suggest using NASM, and from what I am able to understand, there are some important differences between them.

Are there any good resources for the very beginner on 32 bit ASM that are up to date?
Posted on 2006-08-31 08:46:09 by Regen
You might want to start with OllyDebug, it's a bit easier on the newbie - WinDbg is pretty heavy and featureful, but a bit cumbersome as well.

Good intro for 32bit would be the tutorial on www.madwizard.org , then iczelion's tutorials.
Posted on 2006-08-31 08:59:45 by f0dder
Ok, thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

That link was broken on the FAQ, heh.

Edit: I googled Olleydebug and it gave me sites in languages I don't understand.  Is there a english version out there somewhere?
Posted on 2006-08-31 14:24:14 by Regen
http://www.ollydbg.de
Posted on 2006-08-31 14:28:21 by arafel
err, should have debugged my search  :sad:

thanks
Posted on 2006-08-31 14:41:59 by Regen
Reg, I am convinced, it is your answer, www.386xp.com
as I wrote it as an angry outburst, because I had to learn it the hard way
Posted on 2006-09-09 12:18:35 by BernatBogner