Some sad news...

Steve Irwin - "Croc hunter", ... died yesterday  :cry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=256hF_Gghkw
Posted on 2006-09-05 05:24:25 by Ultrano
IMHO it's about time this raving lunatic got what he deserved. Think of all the poor animals he's annoyed.
Posted on 2006-09-05 07:57:00 by f0dder
Well, he lived dangerous for fame and fortune. It's the risk you take. I feel sorry for his family. :sad:

Posted on 2006-09-05 08:30:07 by JimmyClif
While he was certainly talented and skilled, he died in a very unlucky/stupid way. A way to die not worth all the impressive things he previously did in his life, quite a paradoxical death really.
Posted on 2006-09-05 09:38:21 by Maverick
I have the same opinion as f0dder, I'm afraid.. people who poke snakes with sticks over here generally don't live as long as him, so it's hardly paradoxical that he died the way he did - and I refuse to believe that this attack was unprovoked.
Since his death I've heard many times how he was 'the greatest ambassador Australia has ever had"..
If that's the kind of image the rest of the world has of Australians, it's better for everyone (exept his family of course) that he's no longer with us. One particularly irksome fact is that this man insisted he was passionate about conserving wildlife : 1) He made his money from a private zoo (reptile park) which doubled as a farm for the Northern Territory croc leather industry, and 2) His idea of conservation amounted to buying as much pristine land as possible under his own name, ie he was an outright capitalist.
Some of you may think I suffer from the common Australian affliction of 'tall poppy syndrome', but the reality is that I as an Australian was insulted by the stereotype he portrayed, which had little to do with my culture and more to do with the success of Paul Hogan's Crocodile Dundee movies.
What is ironic about all of this is that the Queensland government had been paying this man to support their tourism industry.. let's see them wriggle their way out of this one!
Posted on 2006-09-05 10:23:26 by Homer
Now you should know better than that... Paul Hogan was "the greatest ambassador Australia has ever had" :p
Posted on 2006-09-05 12:32:50 by Synfire
He was a snake and croc handler! of course he poked em with sticks and stuff you're not just gonna pick one up!  :lol:
Crocs are not endangered so why the heck not make some money of the little handbags with teeth!

had little to do with my culture and more to do with the success of Paul Hogan's Crocodile Dundee movies.

You started it!

I for one am sorry to see him go.
I thought he was funny as hell and ten times better that constanst (four-times-a-day incase you stop watching and release it's sh*te) nieghbours and Home and Away you've been piping over here for the past ten years.  :P

No one will ever convince me, though, that he wasnt grabbing that stingray by the tail screaming "you're all right mate". :lol:

ho-hum,
And another ones down,
  and another ones down.......
Posted on 2006-09-05 16:18:58 by Nice Eddie
Homer, your post made this thread worth replying to, and you said what i wanted to say better then i ever could. As a fellow Australian i feel as you do. I've seen at least one thread on every forum i frequent on related to his death, none of which i have replied to due to the heroic portrayal of a man who gave the world the impression we all hunt wild beasts and keep kangaroos as pets. Ambassador to Australia, give me a break.
Posted on 2006-09-05 18:04:25 by Ehtyar
Posted on 2006-09-05 20:27:56 by abc123
Try learning to count to 10 before flaming people with no evidence to the contrary of what they're saying.
Posted on 2006-09-05 21:32:57 by Ehtyar
abc123...

Ive watched steve irwin for years.

Its like watching the mad mate we all had as kids.
Y'know, the one that always does crazy stuff when every one else said "you're gonna break a leg you fool!"
Then one day he snaps his leg clean in half and (you know you shouldn't but) you laugh your ass off!

The 'accident' he had was so rare that I dont think anyone believes it happened with out provication.

'Live fast,Die young' became a phrase for a reason.......
Posted on 2006-09-05 22:11:31 by Nice Eddie