i dont know what to think of this.
maybe its only a joke, and maybe, as some say, it is the most important thing in science since the discovery of fire by humans.

this lab (sandia) has obtained more than 3E9 kelvins with their machine, (z-machine)., in 2005. the info popped out in 2006, in a paper from a physicist called Haines.

this opens the way to "clean" atomic fusion of, for example, LiH.
it could mean free energy for humanity aswell as nuclear bombs for everyone without the A-bomb "trigger".

some sites are beginning to talk about this, but some say there is censorship from states and lobbies.

if some of you read french...
a french scientist hat many people doubt has explained many things there...he says that in france it wont be heard because we already have ITER, a big project that goes on a wrong path but that lobbies want to continue...he says maybe the only chance lies in russia where great physicists are... he says the USA now make a black-out on this, probably because they are making their experiments and are having results...

http://www.jp-petit.com/science/Z-machine/machines_MHD/machines_MHD.htm

ah, i found some site in english:

http://focusfusion.org/log/index.php/site/article/z_pinch/

what do you think of it?
Posted on 2006-09-05 16:10:59 by HeLLoWorld

surprisingly, almost all info i find on the net is in french...

but clearly, some people say that this is a major breakthough and could lead to free energy for everyone.

never , nowhere, in the solar system were these temperatures reached. (i think)
Posted on 2006-09-05 16:53:50 by HeLLoWorld
I read about it months ago, in an article at New-Scientist (iirc the magazine name).
Their funding and project had been about to be closed, so in the last few days the scientists started very risky experiments - and found a catalyst element to break the too low limit Z achieved. Fortunately, they found a catalyst, and since then power increase has been smooth. Yet not enough for fusion.
So, it's not a chain of hoaxes, I guess. Unlike the "quantum cpu+RAM, about to be shown at E3 2006".

btw, HelloWorld - google is the reason. Set the preferences to "search only sites in English" - otherwise google will continue to show localized info only.
Posted on 2006-09-05 17:25:24 by Ultrano
Yes i do, moreover that's real... but that's a giant x ray machine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_machine
Posted on 2006-09-05 18:04:00 by Dite
> Sandia Reports Achieving 2 billion-degree ion temperatures in Z-Pinch, the only thing is, they?re not sure how they did it.

> Their funding and project had been about to be closed, so in the last few days the scientists started very risky experiments

This project sounds like hella fun  :)
Posted on 2006-09-05 21:07:16 by arafel
I've never heard of 'Sandia' - the Z-Pinch research was to my knowledge a CERN project, although I don't doubt for a minute that similar research was being conducted elsewhere.
Anyway, I just thought I'd throw CERN into the mix to give this thread a little more credibility :)

Posted on 2006-09-06 00:58:34 by Homer

> Sandia Reports Achieving 2 billion-degree ion temperatures in Z-Pinch, the only thing is, they?re not sure how they did it.

Hehe.. "we've blown the universe, but we don't know how we did it. We were just mixing stuff together randomly".

Don't hide in the sand, that will be useless.  :lol:
Posted on 2006-09-06 02:42:06 by Maverick
I read about it months ago, in an article at New-Scientist (iirc the magazine name).
Their funding and project had been about to be closed, so in the last few days the scientists started very risky experiments - and found a catalyst element to break the too low limit Z achieved. Fortunately, they found a catalyst, and since then power increase has been smooth. Yet not enough for fusion.

its not very clear whether you refer to the focusfusion project, or the sandia labs.

i didnt know the focusfusion project until i heard of sandia. seems that the focusfusion guys started the project to achieve fusion before the sandia experiment came out.

however, these are different things.

-the sandia device was indeed designed only to emit blows of Xrays, to simulate antinuclear weapons(blowing Xrays at the missile and hoping everything electronic inside dies).

it wasnt designed to achieve these temperatures, but someday in 2005, it did.
this popped out in a paper in feb or march 2006.

some say , given the implications, its already a miracle this info came out.

from what i ve hear, 3E9 K is more than enough for Li-H fusion.

-PLUS: the focufusion site doesnt fully recognize the potential of this discovery.
basically, they ccompare their numbers with the ones from sandia, some are higher, some are lower.
then they say that it wouldnt be practical for making a generator cause the lines that convert to plasma are destroyed so it would be slow to reload. (we're talking about inertial confinement fusion, which means "bursts").thats about the only criticism they can make.

this criticism, and many others, have all been refuted by the french guy, jean pierre petit (who, i repeat, is very controversial).

you could make the fusion generator generate bursts at a high rate with preapred "ammunition",  like a machine gun works.

i have searched google with all languages enabled.

my guess is that there is almost only french info because of this guy. controversial or not, hes an ancient director of the national scientific research center (CNRS). people that claim he doesnt know what hes talking about (and there are some) should first see, if not achieve, what he's done.
i think if there wasnt his site, nobody would hear from this.

Sandia Reports Achieving 2 billion-degree ion temperatures in Z-Pinch, the only thing is, they?re not sure how they did it.

they know exactly how they did it, and have double checked the temperature results.
the experiment is reproductible.
the thing that is controversial is the energy that comes out, that seems to be greater than wht was put in.
but this has been discussed and explain, and though i dont know the details, it seems there is no contradiction, it just depends of what you take in account for what comes in and out.

still.

this seems damn serious to me.

Posted on 2006-09-06 09:51:46 by HeLLoWorld
- I mean I knew about the sandia project. This thread introduced focusfusion to me.
- the google's "search pages in all languages" since one or two weeks ago started returning 95% of the results only from your native language. At least for Bulgaria and Belgium I've clear indication about this. I don't fancy reading outdated translated information, so I switched to English-only searches.

- yes, it is damn serious, and meanwhile it's saddening how personal pride gets in the way of science (read some related info, and an interesting article about scandals in science).
Posted on 2006-09-06 15:58:07 by Ultrano
I mean I knew about the sandia project. This thread introduced focusfusion to me

ok

the google's "search pages in all languages" since one or two weeks ago started returning 95% of the results only from your native language. At least for Bulgaria and Belgium I've clear indication about this. I don't fancy reading outdated translated information, so I switched to English-only searches

but...but...

that bloody SUCKS!

thank you very much for the info!

yes, it is damn serious, and meanwhile it's saddening how personal pride gets in the way of science (read some related info, and an interesting article about scandals in science).

mmh?
:shock:
Posted on 2006-09-12 11:55:38 by HeLLoWorld

yes, it is damn serious, and meanwhile it's saddening how personal pride gets in the way of science (read some related info, and an interesting article about scandals in science).

mmh?
:shock:

http://www.world-mysteries.com/sci_supr.htm
Posted on 2006-09-12 13:54:34 by Ultrano