I'm struggling in trying to learn Assembly using google, wikipedia and this 10 year old book, so I thought, hey, since you guys right here have plenty of knowledge maybe you wouldn't mind giving me some pointers :)

Basically, I'm sitting here with various code snippets from this book, but I haven't yet got to the point where I have a working assembler that supports the syntax of the code from the book.

I've tried downloading and using MASM32 v9, since the book refers to MASM (doesn't say anything about the version though). Assembling the code from the book in MASM32 v9 does give lots of errors, however. The code from the book is intended to be run from DOS, so maybe I'm better off with an older, 16-bit compiler or somesuch? I'm not quite sure, maybe you have any ideas.

Thanks in advance
-Ferwerto
Posted on 2006-09-13 16:33:05 by Ferwerto
Check out the x86 Book for some useful topics. After that, I would suggest looking at Iczelion's Tutorials for examples of how to use Assembly Language in the Win32 environment. This approach takes you from high-level logic (C/VB/PERL/PHP/etc...) and steps it down to the low level fundamentals, by using MASM. If you are interested in a different approach (more low level), have a look at the NASM32 project.

After you are comfortable with with Assembly Language basics using the above resources and method, start searching this messageboard for examples and tidbits on assembly language based optimizations.
Posted on 2006-09-13 17:40:19 by SpooK