Hi all,

I could use some naming inspiration for a new project I'm starting. It will be the successor of SoftWire, which is a dynamic assembler (to generate assembly code at run-time), but with higher level abstraction (C-like and architecture independent) and advanced optimizations. I'm very ambitious about it...

Now, there's one name that sounds fantastic to me, but it's already taken: Dynasm. Although the other author writes it like DynASM, he prefers that I don't use this name to avoid confusion. I've been looking for another name for weeks now, but haven't found anything satisfying yet.

So I was hoping if you could spend just one minute brainstorming and writing down every word or fragment that comes to mind. Anything.

Thanks a lot,

c0d1f1ed
Posted on 2006-10-13 07:06:27 by C0D1F1ED
RTASM - run time assembler?
Posted on 2006-10-13 08:49:18 by vid
I'd search for English words, that are synonyms or somehow related to "dynamic" : change, accustom, transmutation, flux, alter,alteration, reconstruct, adjust, adapt, conform,... liquid, gel, fluid.... and add suffixes like "ASM" (possibly after abbreviating the root word). Something like "CanvASM" (root is "canvas", here meaning "The background against which events unfold"). I personally like 4 or 5--letter root words: "FluxASM".

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/changes

Hmm. how about "PlASM" (plasm) ? 4th state of matter, and a motto of "4th state of code" (after static, SMC and virtual-class-methods). <type less hilarious reasons here>
Posted on 2006-10-13 12:14:22 by Ultrano
Nice suggestions! If 'asm' is part of the name, I'd prefer that it's not stressed. The project will use assembly generation under the hood, but the interface to the outside is supposed to be more abstract and higher-level. That's why I prefer 'Dynasm' over 'DynASM', and it speaks fluently to boot.

Keep it coming...  :D
Posted on 2006-10-13 16:09:13 by C0D1F1ED

...It will be the successor of SoftWire...

Why not HardWire?
Posted on 2006-10-14 02:47:56 by sinsi
Why not HardWire?

SoftWire allows to write very specialized routines to perform a certain task, eliminating all or almost all branches. So it's kind of like re-wiring your CPU to do one specific task. And because this wiring is done at the software level, SoftWire was a logical name.

HardWire would refer to hard-wiring logic, which doesn't make a lot of sense in this context.

I have however been thinking to make SoftWire sound more advanced. SoftFabric for example could refer to more complex wiring. But it doesn't speak so fluently (it has three syllables), and makes me think more about clothing. :lol:

One word that really appeals to me is adapt(ive). But I can't find a name that isn't too obvious a concatenation of words, speaks fluently, and still has a meaning... It might just be too long to make anything useable with it.

Finding a name turns out to be harder than writing the code. ;)
Posted on 2006-10-14 07:12:22 by C0D1F1ED
"adaptasm" sounds silly... in a cool way though ^_^
Posted on 2006-10-14 08:24:21 by f0dder
<SenseofHumour>
May I suggest : Sarcasm ?
</SenseofHumour>
Posted on 2006-10-14 10:13:26 by Homer

<SenseofHumour>
May I suggest : Sarcasm ?
</SenseofHumour>

lol
"buy Sarcasm and compile your programs into hilarious jokes!!!"
NOOOO, I REFUSE TO USE THAT BOSS!!!
:D
Posted on 2006-10-14 11:59:42 by daydreamer
LiveASM/ASM Live
360asm (360? = Dynamic :D)
OTFasm (On the fly)
DirectAsm
Polymorphious Asm (Guess that's in a way the purpose of the whole thing)

Some not very useful suggestions:
OrgASM
PhantASM
Posted on 2006-10-14 18:10:23 by Firefall
ok, after even the o- root word was mentioned, I doubt -asm names would fit.
So, getting out of the box:

DynC
intellicode/intelliwire/intelliware
neuro(n)(code)(id)
JITscript/solder
awa(e)re

Why not make up a completely new word like the "awaere" case :) ? (based on misspelling)
Posted on 2006-10-14 18:44:10 by Ultrano