In case you didn't notice, IE7 was released yesterday.  For me, it was a quick and easy upgrade on broadband.  Just click the button, restart once, make a selection or two, and your done.  You can update now or wait a couple of weeks and you'll get it auto updated anyway.

The reason I encourage everyone to upgrade is because IE6 is, currently, the worst browser in the world.  IE7 is marginally better from a standards point of view but makes the life of a web developer somewhat easier.

Already Secunia has found security vulnerabilities and the list of IE7 bugs is getting long.  IE7 is still the worst browser on the planet and I encourage you all to use Firefox/Opera/Safari/Camino/Konqueror/anything but IE.

Upgrade link.
Posted on 2006-10-20 08:26:41 by drhowarddrfine
I'd rather stick with IE6 as the "fallback" browser, and use FireFox for my daily browsing (would've been Opera if it didn't miss a few things here and there). As I see it, IE7 seems to be somewhat slower, with at least the same amount of vulnerabilities - why bother, then?

Thanks for the info though :)
Posted on 2006-10-20 08:32:14 by f0dder
I agree with f0dder. I tend to use firefox as my main web browser and only fall back to using IE6 when the bloody page refuses to work properly on firefox.
Posted on 2006-10-21 02:49:54 by roticv
ditto
Posted on 2006-10-21 09:44:38 by Homer
Too bad FireFox2 seems to be about integrating some plugin functionality in mainline, and adding some ugly new skin... would've been nice if they'd focus a bit more on BBB: "bloody bugs and bloat" >_<
Posted on 2006-10-21 09:56:49 by f0dder
CNET recommends do NOT use IE7

The bugs and bloat issues are misnomers.  When people look at Bugzilla and see the bug totals they don't always realize it includes bugs all the way to FF3 and backwards, including non-issues.  But what do you compare it to?  MS and others don't publish their bug list.

The reason FF is larger than IE is because IE is part of the OS while FF is a standalone program.  Otherwise look at memory usage without realizing that FFs cache is self-adjusting and uses available memory to store images and pages but shrinks if other applications need it.

Posted on 2006-10-21 11:11:22 by drhowarddrfine
howard, compare Opera and FireFox... smaller and faster. The "part of the OS" is just a lame excuse from lousy coders, imho. FireFox is noticably slower to start than IE, also on second-time launches when it's in the filesystem cache. And notice that I'm using a custom shell and custom file browser, so I do not have IE html rendering stuff loaded all the time...

I do still use FF though, since it's still a bit more secure than IE. And even IE extensions like avant or maxthon miss a few bits here and there. Just wish Opera didn't have those few issues...
Posted on 2006-10-21 11:15:52 by f0dder
i liked opera before, but it's becomed worser and worser each version. imho they should have kept it small fast browser, and rather fix bugs and leaks than add fancy features for secretaries and idiots
Posted on 2006-10-21 11:38:00 by vid
When I began using Firefox it was touted as a "lean and mean" version of Mozilla, now it's little more than bloatware and one of the slowest browsers I have encountered. However, I am used to it now and a bit stubborn about changing it, anyway I use Win2K on my browser (dev) box. I will probably scrap my dev box soon and buy a second AMD for development (with XP64) but until then I will stick to FireFox and have to continue to grab a coffee, watch a movie and maybe take a vacation while it starts up.

Donkey
Posted on 2006-10-21 20:04:06 by donkey
i just love Opera, its getting better an better :P with each version
like "Block Content" and "site options"
the v9.x series loads faster than v8.x so they are improving it...

btw If other browsers don't work with some sites, there might be some dirty thing involved  :mad:
http://my.opera.com/community/dev/discussion/openweb/20030206/
Posted on 2006-10-21 21:40:33 by drizz
Problem with Opera is that it lacks plugin support, and it's ad blocking isn't as complete as FireFox AdBlock. It has problems with some JAVA stuff (like my webbank >_<), and some (few!) sites render a bit weird. Also, it annoys me that they integrated email and (especially!) a torrent client.

A shame, really, since it's lighter and faster than FireFox.
Posted on 2006-10-22 08:33:16 by f0dder
I only use Opera to check my sites so I don't know about what Fodder said but, web standards wise, Opera is very good.
Posted on 2006-10-22 12:11:21 by drhowarddrfine