Hi:
    Repository on Rantx.Com is not empty now. But there is sill an error message saying:Error communicating with the server when using OA32updater. This message is shown as the attached JPG file.
    I know little about network technology.As far as I know my internet connection is OK, as I can update virus database, Windows, and I can also use IE browser to download items on Repository in Rantx.Com.
Regards,
Guidry
PS.
1.  My office's network setting is not DHCP, here is the information:
     DNS server: 168.95.1.1 IP:172.20.1.39 gateway:172.20.1.254
     I don't have to set proxy when running IE.
2. Config file information

HostAddress=ObjAsm32.rantx.com
HostFile=/DwnFiles/OA32_SRC.ZIP
Timeout=10000
UseProxy=0
ProxyAddress=
ProxyPort=8080

Language=0
ShowHelpDialogs=1
CreateBackup=1
BackupPath=C:\Masm32\ObjAsm32\Backup
Attachments:
Posted on 2006-10-30 20:54:44 by guidry
I assume from your posting that your machine is not the gateway machine.
The application is not (yet) smart enough to realize that you are not directly connected to the internet, well it didn't handle proxying on the most recent version that I saw. For the time being, just update manually, the updater application will be extended to support LAN users in due course.

Now some questions.
Does your gateway use 'ICS' (internet connection sharing) in order to share its connection with the LAN, or does it use 'Connection Bridging', or does it use a proxy service, or something else?

Posted on 2006-10-30 23:47:52 by Homer
Hi guidry
I'm having some problems with the ranty server that I hope to solve this week.
I uploaded the master zip file to the tripod server too so try the following setup:

HostAddress=ObjAsm32.tripod.com

Regards,

Biterider
Posted on 2006-10-30 23:57:41 by Biterider
Hi everyone:
    I have tried HostAddress=ObjAsm32.tripod.com, but it don't work either.
    I think Homer's assumption is right. My machine, a notebook,  is not the gateway machine. The administrator and manger of the network of my school told me that the gateway in our school is using 'Connection Bridging'.
   So I think I've to update manually until later release that supports any kind of connection.
   It's not easy to write on-line updating for any kind of internet connection with assembly anyhow. Programs with  on-line updating are usually written with commercial grade developing tool, such as VB, Delphi... But the need of that capability may force us to make that. Hoping the updater application will be extended to support LAN users sooner or later.

Posted on 2006-10-31 02:36:17 by guidry
Hi guidry
Thanks for your feedback. I'll see what I can do for the next release of this app.
If you agree, I'll keep in touch with you to make further tests.

Regards,

Biterider
Posted on 2006-10-31 02:41:35 by Biterider
Hi:   

It's my honer to have an opportunity to play some role in order to help the development and evolvement of OBJASM.  However, due to my very limited ability of ASM programming, I am afraid I can only offer some opinions from end user's point of view, or more precisely, beginner's point of view. I have to admit that I am not at all an experienced programmer of any kind. In fact, I am only an elementary school teacher who write programs once in a blue moon.  Yesterday, I tried to look into some of your source codes. There are many macros there. For me, macros are hard to decipher because if you are not experienced enough, you will be unable to imagine what they are getting at and what they will be after extracting.

End users, or customers who know little about programming are always picky ones.  Just as my administrator who knows very little about IT has ever asked me ?Could you use your computer to judge what kind of pictures are for adult only?? This simple looking request is very difficult to put in practice. The more you know programming the more difficulties you'll find. Network supporting programming with Assembly is not at all a piece of cake. Hoping I am not the picky one.

Experienced developers focus on functionality while the end users pay attention to user-friendlyness. Sometimes, the end users or the beginners may  offer some opinions that may be helpful for developers to make more user-friendly software. That's what I can do.

Regards,
Guidry
Posted on 2006-10-31 19:17:10 by guidry
Hi guidry
Don?t forget we all were beginners when we started in the asm world and step by step we acquired the knowledge we have now. The purpose of this forum is to share this knowledge in some way.
I?m personally happy about every feedback I get, regardless if it is from a beginner or a professional programmer. I consider it as bricks in the big house we are building.

Regards,

Biterider
Posted on 2006-11-01 11:27:17 by Biterider