I mean, we ain't gonna change the world, it has a too big inertia. ;)

Could we design a lever that is big enough to achieve such a goal???

:D

Archimedes, who happened to be Sicilian (just like me), would think so, but he would probably be wrong, just like me. :D

Seriously though, I agree with f0dder. Java would be a perfect language for newbies to dip into the programming pool, as with a swimming pool for children (kiddie pool). It is easier to learn something right the first time (Java as a base, work down towards C and ASM), than to *unlearn* something and learn it properly.

I won't argue.. but it's ending up that they only teach Java.. and that doesn't produce "real" programmers. I mean (before it seems that I offend anyone) that if a company knows you have a degree in Computer Science, they may well ask you e.g. to write an app for a microcontroller, but you would not even know where to start. What's a value of a degree then? They may start with Java or BASIC, it doesn't matter, but they should not end there as well. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

Also, this whole thing about Garbage Collection being good because otherwise you may forget to free what you allocate irritates me to the extreme. I think that one learns by errors, and until you remember to put a call to free whenever you call alloc, and to manage ownership of objects, then you better not be satisfied of yourself as programmer. I stay away from any tool that covers my mistakes, because it doesn't educate you well, and because masking bugs is not the answer, because it reduces the "required level of attention" of the programmer, which is generally bad.
I agree one should concentrate mostly on the algorithm and not on the "quirks", but no GC is the solution to insufficient experience IMHO.

Posted on 2006-11-16 01:27:07 by Maverick
funny excerpt from MS EULA:
NOTE ON JAVA SUPPORT. THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN SUPPORT FOR PROGRAMS WRITTEN IN JAVA. JAVA TECHNOLOGY IS NOT FAULT TOLERANT AND IS NOT DESIGNED, MANUFACTURED, OR INTENDED FOR USE OR RESALE AS ON-LINE CONTROL EQUIPMENT IN HAZARDOUS ENVIRONMENTS REQUIRING FAIL-SAFE PERFORMANCE, SUCH AS IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL, DIRECT LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES, OR WEAPONS SYSTEMS, IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF JAVA TECHNOLOGY COULD LEAD DIRECTLY TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE
Posted on 2006-11-16 01:29:23 by vid

funny excerpt from MS EULA:
NOTE ON JAVA SUPPORT. THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN SUPPORT FOR PROGRAMS WRITTEN IN JAVA. JAVA TECHNOLOGY IS NOT FAULT TOLERANT AND IS NOT DESIGNED, MANUFACTURED, OR INTENDED FOR USE OR RESALE AS ON-LINE CONTROL EQUIPMENT IN HAZARDOUS ENVIRONMENTS REQUIRING FAIL-SAFE PERFORMANCE, SUCH AS IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL, DIRECT LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES, OR WEAPONS SYSTEMS, IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF JAVA TECHNOLOGY COULD LEAD DIRECTLY TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE

I guess .NET is, instead. :D :D :D
Posted on 2006-11-16 01:32:31 by Maverick

I am sorry for being sooo illiterate and sooo newbie, doing something crazy as use a 2937px x 1695px 32bit texture and slow it down with lightfx
http://web.telia.com/~u45113685/wrapper.html

just because I am sooo stupid to use such a language, just because I wanted all people on the web to see what I could do

Did you know that can be done also in BASIC? Just a tad slower, but can be done as well. :)
Posted on 2006-11-16 01:33:48 by Maverick
Even Sun's own license says you shouldn't use JAVA for nuclear facilites, so hey :)
Posted on 2006-11-16 02:46:13 by f0dder

Ada95 Ada95 Ada95 :D
Posted on 2006-11-16 03:33:31 by Maverick

Runs at 6fps here. Nice, though you don't perform bilinear filtering :P , and I can't understand the lighting effect ^^" .

I am not experienced in MMX, but I am trying to make a faster lighteffect without all that sqrt calculation for each pixel+ all split to rgb channels and to put together to dword again and all code for saturate channels
http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=4010.0

Posted on 2006-11-16 03:47:15 by daydreamer