... so I posted this to amuse myself, and anyone else who bothers to read it ... heh :)
Posted on 2006-11-22 07:59:22 by Homer
For me, that just means that people are using the search function more than asking redundant posts ;)

Seriously though, I think this place reached "critical mass" quite some time ago, at least with Win32/MASM(32) material. I tried introducing some new subjects, but until they catch on... I think this is the way this place will be for quite some time. I don't see much happening as long as the Win32API still reigns and RISC architecture keeps replacing our CISC stuff. OTOH, if this was a C/HLL forum... we'd have sold out as others did :lol:

Maybe Microsoft will finally alienate its userbase with all the Vista nonsense and Rene's dream of the "Assembly Rebirth" will come to pass. Everyone will start using ReactOS and programming applications entirely in ASM again. Or maybe the world will fall apart and end before that happens. I have my money on the latter of the two :P
Posted on 2006-11-22 09:13:06 by SpooK
I'll probably be more active after the end of the year. Between the holidays, doctors appointments, and all the repairs on the house, my life isn't leaving much time for any serious projects. I have to agree with SpooK on the search function, I've actually gotten several people to join here, but nobody posts because every one of them (so far) have said they find what they need in past posts rather than having to ask questions. I really don't know if there is a "cure" for having pretty much all the answers for questions that newcommers are going to ask, but then again who would want one. I say lets wait and see what Vista totally changes and see if it brings a whole new collection of questions to the table :)
Posted on 2006-11-22 18:58:15 by Synfire
For me, the move has been to GAS on FreeBSD.  It's a great assembler and integrates with GCC.  Also works, of course, with Linux.
Posted on 2006-11-22 23:26:09 by drhowarddrfine
I've been fairly inactive the last couple of weeks as I've been mostly maintaining my own programs and haven't started a _real_ project in a while. I have a couple small fun projects that I'd love to create but no time whatsoever :-/

Also, Christmas shopping for the kids gets more involved every year. A few years ago I managed to get all my stuff on Amazon in within a couple of hours. Now, I spend countless hours on ebay trying to score an Nintendo 64 with Super Mario Cart.

I only wish that ReactOs could eventually replace windows. And in that I mean that I should be able to install & play the newest games as efficiently as Windows does. A free windows compatible OS without all the superfluous knick knacks would be nice.

On that note, Happy Thanksgiving too :)
Posted on 2006-11-23 14:38:00 by JimmyClif

... so I posted this to amuse myself, and anyone else who bothers to read it ... heh :)

Yeah, I've noticed a lack of good posts as well, probably as SpooK says the search function, there is a vast database of knowledge here and almost every subject has been covered to death in some thread or another. But there is also a distinct decline in the number of posts across all the forums I visit and the questions are seemingly uninteresting. Perhaps I am just losing enthusiasm for programming or perhaps it's just because I am so busy these days that I have little time to explore new interests, I can barely keep up with the things I am interested in now let alone taking on new ones. I do like answering questions for new users though, even if I have answered them 100 times before I never tire of them (well almost never), I think I will always enjoy that because I really appreciated the people like NaN, KetilO and f0dder (and many others) who took the time to help me when I was starting out.

Donkey
Posted on 2006-11-24 23:17:11 by donkey
As far as gamedev goes, there's literally mountains of unchartered territory, and I have to admit that I have been slacking off in that regard.

It's just such a vast expanse, encompassing virtually every (userland) field of programming, and yet still containing many specific subfields, I guess it takes a special mindset even among programmers to not become overwhelmed by it.
To quote Douglas Adams, "vastly, hugely, mind-boggling big".

I've just finished tidying up my CModel (animated skinmesh) baseclass for re-release, it looks after all the loading, unloading, animating and rendering of REFERENCE skinmeshes, but doesn't deal with INSTANCES, so that'll be my next goal.. I'm undecided as to whether I should re-release CModel (and small demo app to drive it), or wait until I've rewritten CMultiAnim (which manages instances of a CModel).

Furthermore, I still have no generic collision detection framework in place, which makes me feel awful, since I've had the relevant snippets for over two years now.

On the bright side, I have written and posted a generic eventhandler / interobject messaging system which should provide the impetus for stitching together something worthwhile.

I've been spending a lot of time studying neural network implementations, reading on Gobel and other relevant mathematicians, and occasionally playing guitar.

I am looking into implementing neural networking at the heart of my game engine, and also at the heart of my cross-assembler (I have a working neural network class, but have never implemented it with regards to problem solving beyond the XOR proof).

What have you guys been writing lately?
Posted on 2006-11-24 23:53:34 by Homer
Hi
ATM I am fighting with ActiveX and some COM interfaces that are giving me some problems to implement. Like game dev, COM is a so wide... wide field that it is quite possible to become overwhelmed by it.  :lol:

Another thing I?m playing is to emulate the ?glass? effect from Vista. I coded it for a simple app and all work OK without any resource bottleneck or similar symptom.

Regards,

Biterider
Posted on 2006-11-25 01:09:27 by Biterider

What have you guys been writing lately?

Not much :sad:
I am having this weird programming apathy lately. Every time I have a day off and think, finely! some substantial time to work on this and that. I open the project folder, sit in front of PC just looking at the files, and eventually end up surfing the internet or reading silly blogs for a whole damn day. It's not that I ran out of ideas or can't program or don't have enough free time... It's just this weird apathy..
Posted on 2006-11-25 04:36:05 by arafel
I know that just too well arafel :( I believe the problem is that I don't get enough time for myself. I do love programming but I also love surfing the internet and playing video games. I sit here staring at RadAsm and inwithin no time I check my email, check in here and soon thereafter read somewhere on how to learn to juggle or I'm getting upset at some gun toting liberals homepage ;)

I just bought Freelancer for an apple and an egg and I truly enjoy it more than debugging my sheity routines ;)
Posted on 2006-11-25 06:36:16 by JimmyClif
arafel: I know this state very well :( . The best way to deal with it is to turn off my cable modem, in two or three days you'll return to max-speed in coding. (but this might work only with my own mindset).
Another motivational "trick" to pick up the pace, is the thought "just start working on the project." Start from something simple, that you can't possibly fuck-up (i.e make bugs in). Then start "playing" with coding some new, useless (or not present in your initial design) code/lib for the project. Then, start slowly working on the things the project needs (to be completed), and on every few lines check with your existing code if you're doing the correct thing - this way you'll also refresh your memory on most of the project's parts/code/libs/ideas. When finally you no longer need to re-check on every few lines you write, you'll start picking-up your speed and motivation. If you check your email at this point, you will ruin the mood. It's easy to get distracted. So, don't stop until you drop (or complete a milestone) :P . Before going to sleep, you'll feel delighted - at least I do :) .
This all is foolproof for me. It just needs a couple of days to spare.

Posted on 2006-11-25 07:36:07 by Ultrano
Hello folks;
I'm in a similar situation.
Recently, I've began a hobbyOS project (phios.int6.net). I've done most of kernel. Unluckly, I will have real analysis and chemistry exam soon :( So, I must work :) My project postponed for a undefined date...
Posted on 2006-11-25 07:44:37 by Dite
Part of the problem is fear of failure or frustration.  When you code you just know the first thing you assemble will fail and it's like "Now what is wrong.  Can't I do a simple whatever without getting 10 errors?" 

Another possibility is dwelling too long on the outcome.  Caring too much that someone will think your code is stupid and you need to optimize it when, right now, you just need something to work.

I agree that all you need to do is write one small routine and you might get the ball rolling.  One small step.  Like cleaning house.  Just wipe off the coffee table then you say to yourself, "Well, I'll wipe this other table off, too." and, next thing you know, you vacuumed the rug, too.

Like I'm the expert.  I've been doing the same thing but I started taking small steps yesterday and I'm starting to get on a roll again...I think.
Posted on 2006-11-25 08:10:29 by drhowarddrfine
i had same problem as arafael. then i ended up with ultraslow connection to internet (no connection is better, like in old times), and i found girlfriend. That boosted me with lot of energy to code. I hope it will last 8)
Posted on 2006-11-25 08:44:58 by vid
Many of my programming woes stem from the fact that many other people have done "this" already and that someone else will just take the idea, have more time and thus be able to "do it" better. I find it really hard to justify doing any form of programming, from a "useful" point of view, due to all the cheap out-sourcing and the current ways of the programming market.

I agree with doc as well, trying to make things better before you even make them will get you nowhere fast. This also leads to poor optimization, as algorithmic choices should be made before attempting to optimize your code.

As for me, specifically, whatever time I have left to code is spent working on DynatOS. Right now, I have a System Library Interface (user-mode accessible interrupt) mechanism, paging, memory management, rudimentary process management and basic multi-tasking. The kernel is still entirely done in (N)ASM. I tend to check the functionality of the code/kernel after each new function/subroutine I implement.

As with most OS work, I am reaching another "chicken or the egg" scenario with drivers, system libraries, where such things should be loaded, what format to use, etc... should be a fun and very on-going project :)
Posted on 2006-11-25 17:41:10 by SpooK
When I run out of gamedev chickens and eggs, I'll throw you a bone mate.. until then, I'm a slave unto the status quo :|
Posted on 2006-11-28 05:34:51 by Homer