hi,

i was wondering how programs like dxdiag.exe manages to display the chipset/device info for displays and sound. if you go into dxdiag and tab over to "Display", it will display the name of the display device, as well as specs. i've combed through the registry for this info, but could not find where it is. is it some directx API or something?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

~drocon
Posted on 2006-11-23 16:27:47 by Drocon
Posted on 2006-11-23 19:17:13 by ti_mo_n
ok thanks!
Posted on 2006-11-23 19:39:21 by Drocon
Heh - enumerating devices and their capabilities is such an overlooked and under-documented area.
It's that way because most tutorials concentrate on 'the basics'.
I think this sucks, because it teaches people to write code that is device-dependant, and unable to gracefully scale itself to the local hardware.
My response to this is to develop my code on very low-end hardware, and once I'm happy with it, I extend it to detect and utilize higher functions (preferably in hardware), so that I can be SURE my software will execute on 'anything out there'.
Others choose to work in the opposite direction : developing software for high-end machines and then eliminating functionality when those capabilities don't exist on the local hardware.
Inevitably, their software looks like crap on low-end gear.
Posted on 2006-11-24 00:27:57 by Homer