Hi guys,

I need an advice regarding some hardware issue, and i figured i could post it here, maybe somebody has any ideas...
Here's the thing: i bought a new Asus DVD-Writer drive, and i wanted to put it into one of my computers, a new P4 Celeron + Asus(!) motherboard, but it doesn't work almost at all. Want i know so far:
- with exactly the same IDE + power cables, the old CD-ROM drive works perfectly
- the DVD-writer drive, placed in another computer (AMD64) works perfectly - i even wrote some disks, so i know the drive is functional.
- the drive is single on the IDE cable, on secondary IDE, and the jumper is set as master.
- in windows device manager, secondary IDE channel is currently set as UDMA 4. I cannot set any lower UDMA, but i can set it to PIO mode. In this mode, the drive is working, slow, but working.
- what are the problems in UDMA mode (default):
  - access time is horribly slow, only for folder/file listing
  - i cant copy any file from the disk, it gives me "I/O error"
Basically, i can not use the drive  :sad: .
I have updated the MB chipset drivers, and i dont know what else to do, than to reinstall the OS (windows XP Professional SP2). Do you have any other suggestions?
Posted on 2006-12-30 17:51:28 by Eugen
Sounds very much like the dvd writer is not the problem at all. Sounds like something wrong with the p4 or a software glitch.
Posted on 2006-12-30 18:33:59 by IIwastitan
Are you using an 80-conductor IDE Cable, or an older 40-conductor one???

It is fairly easy to tell the difference, as the insulated wire-runs in the 80-conductor cable look thinner than their older counterpart.

Compare the cable in your system to the AMD64 one you used. If they look different, then you know for sure that your Intel system has a 40-Conductor cable hooked-up to the Secondary IDE.

I would also take this time to check your Primary IDE (assuming that it is the one connected to the HD) for 80-conductor as well.

HtH ;)
Posted on 2006-12-30 18:40:05 by SpooK

I am ashamed to admit i was using a 40-pin cable. Now i put an 80-pins cable and the device is working fine (of course other problems occured, but that's just Muprhy's law - when something can go wrong, it will).
Thanks all.
Posted on 2006-12-31 11:46:14 by Eugen
d'oh
Posted on 2006-12-31 13:19:08 by Homer
Product of human nature. We are used to handling the bigger and more complex problems, and for that reason we tend to over-look the simpler ones ;)
Posted on 2006-12-31 13:35:51 by SpooK
Most BIOSes I've seen warn on boot if a UDMA drive is connected with a 40-conductor cable - pretty nice actually :)
Posted on 2007-01-01 17:26:17 by f0dder