I found an article on writing programs in multiple languages and it focused on assembly being implemented into higherlevel programs. The problem is I never fully read it since I didn't yet have a use for it and now I do, but alas, I cannot find it anywhere. If anyone would please help me find it or a similar article I would be very happy.
Posted on 2007-01-01 13:59:44 by JEBOman
Maybe this is of interest for you, and maybe it's that article you are looking for ... :D

Optimizing subroutines in assembly language: An optimization guide for x86 platforms
This is an optimization manual for advanced assembly language programmers and compiler makers. Topics include: C++ instrinsic functions, inline assembly and stand-alone assembly. Linking optimized assembly subroutines into high level language programs. Making subroutine libraries compatible with multiple compilers and operating systems. Optimizing for speed or size. Memory access. Loops. Vector programming (XMM, SIMD). CPU-specific optimization and CPU dispatching.

http://www.agner.org/optimize/

CUL8'er.
Posted on 2007-01-01 16:38:48 by FairLight
In regards to asm implemented in higher langs, theres three choices:

-inline asm codeblocks.. typically has very bad support for high level asm directives, macros and other constructs, but just peachy if you don't mind coding in lowlevel asm, and each inline codeblock is not too large.

-asm based plugins.. we build function libraries in asm with external interfaces designed to allow HLLs to call our code, eg DLL or OCX.
We just need to be able to hide our code behind some kind of standard interface.

-oopasm.. we reinvent asm by shrouding the mysterious workings of oop behind user-friendly macros, taking full advantage of our assembler , and now we can write function libraries or whole applications with all the benefits of a HLL and none of the drawbacks.
We can call code written for and with a HLL, and HLLs can call our code, we're truly riding the fence now.

I prefer the last option, because it means that I can write code that looks and feels like a HLL, do so efficiently in terms of the development time required, etc.

Posted on 2007-01-02 00:33:12 by Homer
Thank you for your replies.
Posted on 2007-01-08 19:47:20 by JEBOman