Well, that's it! :D

http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=25701.0

(dont you click, dumbass, its just here :D)

"topic=25701.0"     ?

me, i couldnt care less (although maybe not...) but one day i had to post an URL to a colleague and he was ironical about it...  :mad: :mad:

i mean, what do we look like , pretending to be teh l33t optimising a$m h4ckerz and abusing floats for discrete elements? :D

Posted on 2007-01-14 23:02:38 by HeLLoWorld

Does it really matter?  :lol:
Posted on 2007-01-14 23:17:13 by Homer
The floating-point number is less a number and more a separator.

Put your mouse over the title of each post to see what I mean.
Posted on 2007-01-14 23:18:08 by SpooK

hmmmhmmm...I dont know php so I dont understand really what comes after the decimal point, but I get the idea...

oh well... :O
Posted on 2007-01-14 23:31:19 by HeLLoWorld
The "decimal point" has nothing to do with PHP and everything to do with the forum software design. The same concept can be applied in PERL or ASP.

Imaging taking the query string and extracting the value of "topic", which in this case is "25701.0". Where this comes in handy is when you use a string splitting routine (e.g. Regular Expressions) to split that value/variable into two values/variables at the period (decimal point) position.

This makes it simple to check the value after the period for "0" which would indicate the start of a topic... or to see if it further specifies a particular post within a topic, which would dictate which "page" to load for the topic and other dynamic things.

Using the number of the post instead of "entry number X" makes it easier to delete/merge/split particular posts without corrupting the topic layout.
Posted on 2007-01-14 23:45:08 by SpooK
In other words: it could as well be "?topic=first,message=third,timonIzDaHaxx00r=false&iamcool&crashtheserver"

The whole string is sent to php code. It's up to the php code what will it do with such a string. ^^ The idea of PHP is to dynamically generate html code based on the input parameters and/or data in the database, and then send it to the client.
Posted on 2007-01-15 02:38:10 by ti_mo_n

It's up to the php code...

That was entirely my point. It has less to do with "PHP" and more to do with the code.
Posted on 2007-01-15 11:31:39 by SpooK