Hello all,

Just as I was squashing bugs for my FAIM, I was wondering if how many people are using ICQ and what IM do most people use. For me, I use MSN messenger and ICQ (Occassionally as most of my friends are on MSN messenger).

So what do you guys use?
Posted on 2007-01-21 07:13:36 by roticv
I use Miranda for MSN+ICQ - just about everybody seem to have moved to MSN. A mix of Mirabilis really messing up the client instead of keeping it easy and lightweight, and Microsoft being naughty and distributing the original Windows Messenger with Windows, and making it hard to get rid of.
Posted on 2007-01-21 07:21:34 by f0dder
I was thinking about playing with MSN protocol, but I can't really find good documentations on it. It's really sad.
Posted on 2007-01-21 07:27:43 by roticv
You probably won't find any - either you'd have to RE messenger or look at the work already been done by other (which would be the sane choice). Both Miranda and GAIM are opensource...
Posted on 2007-01-21 07:29:49 by f0dder
I use ICQ (via Miranda), MSN and Skype. Personal fav is MSN (it's got everything + more), the others are mostly for work. I envy WinXP users for MSN Live ^^" .
Meanwhile, it seems to me that everybody from my country has moved to Skype.

btw, MSN's "What I'm listening to"  is the best feature of an IM ever, imho :).
Posted on 2007-01-21 09:45:34 by Ultrano
I agree that MSN's "What I'm listening to" is a good feature (probably the best feature of 7.5), but I find stuff like nudges irritating (I've disabled when I realise it existed). Other problems like unable to send certain files is very irking too.

The ads are very disturbing too.

I only used skype when I want to do call conferencing with my friends. It's quite cool imo.

ICQ has alot of room to improve on.
Posted on 2007-01-21 09:55:06 by roticv
I dislike the MSN client for being bloated and sluggish - the pretty skin crap takes up too much screen real estate. "What I'm listening to" is silly, but would be easy to add to Miranda or whatever with a plugin (it can be funny though, when people watch pr0n with WMP - hah, busted).

Ohyeah, one of the lamest things about MSN is that it block certain filetypes on transfer... but not until it's been sent! So, I wait 10+ minutes for the transfer of some new tekkn0 track my younger brother has made, then I click the link in the MSN window, MSN tells me it has blocked access to the file and deletes it >_<. Good thing I gave my brother some space on my domain, so he can just ftp his stuff there - faster, too.

To make MSN bearable, suffer the muslim propaganda and download http://apatch.tk .
Posted on 2007-01-21 11:35:04 by f0dder
I like to use GAIM for everything (MSN/AIM/ICQ/IRC/Yahoo) as it is nice to have only one application to utilize protocols that practically do the same damn thing ;)
Posted on 2007-01-21 13:44:11 by SpooK

I agree that MSN's "What I'm listening to" is a good feature (probably the best feature of 7.5), but I find stuff like nudges irritating (I've disabled when I realise it existed). Other problems like unable to send certain files is very irking too.

The ads are very disturbing too.

I only used skype when I want to do call conferencing with my friends. It's quite cool imo.

ICQ has alot of room to improve on.

Introducing Mess Patch. Mess.be has a patch that, among many many other things, will remove all ads from msn. You can either search for your version of MSN of the patch, or find the latest one in the news on the home page. See Messpatch.com for all the options.

Hope this help, Ehtyar.
Posted on 2007-01-22 01:02:06 by Ehtyar
Oh, didn't know about mess.be - nifty if it's got the same features as a-patch, but without the muslim propaganda :)

(damn, mess.be is MESSy >_<).
Posted on 2007-01-22 04:39:45 by f0dder
Isn't it what, and they don't allow direct linking, so no matter what, you're forced to wade through the mess :( But it's so worth it!!

Ehtyar.
Posted on 2007-01-22 05:11:23 by Ehtyar
i use qq  uc or msn :)
Posted on 2007-02-10 09:06:12 by sunmoon55
So what do you guys use?
only Miranda
Posted on 2007-02-10 09:18:01 by drizz