I am currently in the process of taking the contents of my old OS Dev guide and revamping it for inclusion into our Wiki's Operating System Development section.

Changes in this guide include an emphasis in Assembly Language on the x86 architecture, instead of the previous "generic" nature of the guide.

Any questions/comments/concerns about this guide??? Please reply to this thread :)

Thanks. -SpooK
Posted on 2007-01-24 16:20:41 by SpooK
So, what topics will it include after the 'changes'? ^^
Posted on 2007-01-24 23:20:04 by ti_mo_n

So, what topics will it include after the 'changes'? ^^

Thanks to the rest of the Wiki, all the work in explaining x86 architecture basics is no longer needed in the OS Dev Guide... this removes much of the work :D

However, I've been finding myself updating the rest of the "ASM Basics" along the way, so I am kind of killing two birds with one stone... but it is very time-consuming. In the end, however, everything will be up-to speed and the Wiki should be that much more useful.

Today, I adapted and added both the Introduction and Boot Process topics.

My first "real" step is to complete the topic on Modern x86 Initialization, which is partially complete as of this posting (going to bed soon.)

For the rest off the information, I am going to involve my own OS dev efforts to help complete the basic topics.

My ultimate goal is to provide a practical approach to OS development, as opposed to those empty theoretical textbook approaches that practically read like you already know how to do it. In the end, there should be enough information and code examples to develop a modern day operating system :)
Posted on 2007-01-25 01:41:01 by SpooK
Looks very promising ^^ I hope you'll have enough time to keep updating it :)
Posted on 2007-01-25 12:07:12 by ti_mo_n
I have just figure out that I have a account on this Wiki :) (Probably all forum members has too ? )
Maybe I could add something about integrating Visual C compiler with our OS ? I know you are a asm guy but programming with C is just so relaxing.. :D :D

Posted on 2007-01-25 15:49:28 by Dite

I have just figure out that I have a account on this Wiki :) (Probably all forum members has too ? )
Maybe I could add something about integrating Visual C compiler with our OS ? I know you are a asm guy but programming with C is just so relaxing.. :D :D

Are you talking about utilizing VC++ for OS Development... or integrating VC++ to be used in an OS (i.e. a "port")???

If you are indeed talking about utilizing VC++ (i.e. using C/C++) for OS Development, then you may want to look into contributing to the OsDev.org Wiki, as they have a heavy emphasis on using C... to the point where all our Wiki could honestly do is duplicate the info they already have. Chase (the moderator at osdev.org) is a good guy and they have integrated Mega-Tokyo's OS Dev information into that site... so you'll be contributing to a pretty decent site. You'll probably notice a few articles there that look familiar ;)

All-in-all, this goes for just about everything in our Wiki. There is plenty of documentation and code for C/C++ at other sites that really doesn't need to be reiterated in our Wiki. The forums are still here to help people with C/C++ (and other language) questions, but let's not lose focus of what this community is supposed to be providing.

Thanks for your interest, though :)
Posted on 2007-01-25 16:53:11 by SpooK