Is there a way to stop Mozilla Firefox displaying video files? I would like to disable the windows media player plug-in in Firefox but I could not find anyway how to do it.
Posted on 2007-01-31 15:57:12 by Vortex
Try tools->options, content tab, "manage" button under file types group. I think if you delete all the "Windows Media Player Plug-In Dynamic Link Library" entries, it should work?
Posted on 2007-01-31 16:01:45 by f0dder
Hi f0dder,

Unfortunately, Firefox doesn't permit you to delete some of the entries like asx,wma,wvx,wax. I delete the other entries but it does not solve the problem.
Posted on 2007-01-31 16:30:53 by Vortex
tools->options, content tab, "manage" button under file types group.

I don't even have this option xD Another thing convincing me that IE (esp. 7) is better ^^ If anyone comes up with an idea of how to disable videos and/or flash (actually ALL embedded objects) in firefox, then please let me know ^^
Posted on 2007-01-31 17:24:41 by ti_mo_n
In the same "Manage" area mentioned above, see if you can "Change Action" and not delete it. 

For ad blocking, install the extension/add-on AdBlocker.
For Flash, try FlashBlocker.

What type of videos do you mean?  Are they for WM11?

Firefox is nine years ahead of IE7 in web standards compliance.
Posted on 2007-01-31 17:28:16 by drhowarddrfine
how about removing files from
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins ?
Posted on 2007-01-31 18:03:28 by Ultrano

tools->options, content tab, "manage" button under file types group.

I don't even have this option xD Another thing convincing me that IE (esp. 7) is better ^^ If anyone comes up with an idea of how to disable videos and/or flash (actually ALL embedded objects) in firefox, then please let me know ^^

IE6 is faster than FF, haven't tried IE7 (and can't see a reason to even try it). Perhaps you have FF1.5, I use FF2.

But things like AdBlock and FireBug are reasons enough to use FF rather than IE... as well as the lower amount of nastily exploitable bugs.
Posted on 2007-02-01 03:38:35 by f0dder
IE6 and IE7 are both old POS's that can barely stumble through a properly written web page.  Technically, all versions of Internet Explorer are verifiably the worst browsers on the planet.
Posted on 2007-02-01 07:40:44 by drhowarddrfine