8) Hi I have a quick question yo ask! I want to start to build a OS and i was wondering what program could i use that will start me off on building an OS.
Posted on 2007-02-02 13:39:26 by GDOG
"program"? All you need is an assembler, patience, knowledge, patience and patience ;)
Posted on 2007-02-02 13:52:25 by ti_mo_n
Try Gentoo Linux, if you survive that you'll know you're ready to
build your own  :D :D :D

Regards...

phinger
Posted on 2007-02-02 14:32:15 by phinger

8) Hi I have a quick question yo ask! I want to start to build a OS and i was wondering what program could i use that will start me off on building an OS.

Well, I am going to help you the best way I know how... by offering a good dose of reality... brace yourself :lol:

You've asked this question, not ONCE, but TWICE already. No one here is hiding answers from you. No one is going to suddenly remember "OSDevBASIC" as the first step in their OS development journey if you re-ask the same question X months later.

In order to jolt your perceptions, BASIC will never be an adequate enough base-language for serious OS development... ever!!! Even if you designed a version of "BASIC" that was specific to OS Development, it wouldn't be a "BASIC" anymore as the language itself would have more exceptions than rules.

There is no easy/short path that is going to help you avoid the grunt-work that you must do in order to even get to the point where you are ready to do the grunt-work in learning OS Development. Believe me, if there was... there would be thousands of successful projects that offer usable operating systems... instead of the reality where the opposite holds true.

There is no one "program" that will help you do this. There are many programs, or tools, that will help you achieve the development of an operating system. You have to figure out what language(s) you want to develop your OS in. For whatever language(s) you choose, make sure you are fluent in the operation of the related assemblers/compilers/linkers/etc... along with some experience in standard application development, as this will be crucial. If you can't take your "favorite" assembler/compiler and crank out a basic 32-bit application, be it graphical or command-line, then you are in for a rough ride... and you will have a lot of responses to questions that sound just like this reply.

Once you are comfortable with developing regular applications, you must arm yourself with knowledge. Start reading... everything!!! Intel docs, hardware specifications, OS development articles... everything!!!

As a personal suggestion, you should read THIS article page-point (and on down)... along with THIS article page-point. Hopefully this gives you a better idea of what you are trying to attempt here :)

You can also visit places like osdev.org to get more information, just avoid asking the question you have asked here... over there... as it has been ASKED/ADDRESSED quite some time ago.

Good luck, GDOG ;)
Posted on 2007-02-02 19:35:45 by SpooK