Hello folks;
May I redistribute masm32.exe and link.exe with my OS ? Or change masm binarys ?
Is there any restriction ?
Posted on 2007-02-19 16:50:33 by Dite
Things like those were up to discussion before. Me myself had problems understanding the license because of conflicts with different distributions and my country's own civil law.

I honestly believe you can not throw MASM into other OS that is not Windows or other Microsoft's. So, taking in mind you said "my OS" so I believe thats the answer: no.
Even if I am mistaken tho, I suggest you to read the license.
Posted on 2007-02-19 17:51:08 by codename
You are not allowed to redistribute Microsoft's files, nor modify them. Depending on how you obtained ML.EXE and LINK.EXE, there might even be issues with distributing stuff you wrote with it - the most 'liberal' version are of course those purchased, either the age-old stand-alone masm, or masm that comes along with visual studio.

If you want to redist stuff, you're better off dealing with another assembler. And you're better off not asking about licensing issues for masm, it has lead to flame war after flame war and tons of FUD.
Posted on 2007-02-19 18:27:15 by f0dder
i believe it's also forbidden to use MASM to write for other OS than windows. Maybe there is some license without this, but still, MASM shouldn't be raped for OSdev, it's just not suited for that.
Posted on 2007-02-19 20:07:53 by vid

i believe it's also forbidden to use MASM to write for other OS than windows. Maybe there is some license without this, but still, MASM shouldn't be raped for OSdev, it's just not suited for that.

Again, this depends on where you got MASM - the DDK versions do seem limited, but IANAL.

Interesting, btw, is that the VC2003 toolkit and VC2005 express versions have very nonrestrictive licenses - you can use those for commercial development, or even os-dev if you choose. At least that's how I read the license :)
Posted on 2007-02-20 08:30:20 by f0dder

If you want to redist stuff, you're better off dealing with another assembler. And you're better off not asking about licensing issues for masm, it has lead to flame war after flame war and tons of FUD.

Yeah, that is what happens when opinion and ego override legality and logic.

You may want to look into POASM/POLINK/POLIB, then you know for sure what you can do by reading the license or directly contacting Pelle.

I won't say for sure, but I haven't heard of any major compatibility issues between Pelle's tools and MS' tools :)
Posted on 2007-02-20 11:12:53 by SpooK

Yeah, that is what happens when opinion and ego override legality and logic.

You may want to look into POASM/POLINK/POLIB, then you know for sure what you can do by reading the license or directly contacting Pelle.

I won't say for sure, but I haven't heard of any major compatibility issues between Pelle's tools and MS' tools :)

Thanks, I will try poasm.

I think I have to emphasize that, I'm not trying to "rape" masm.
Moreover; If I want that, I wouldn't care licence. In fact, nobody cares licence issues in my country anyway...
Posted on 2007-02-20 14:25:48 by Dite