1) Is there a way to define multiline comments in NASM? GOD let there be a way. I tried COMMENT as in TASM and MASM but it did not work.

2) I have written the below INVOKE macro:

%MACRO INVOKE 1-*
  %REP    %0 - 1
    %ROTATE  -1
    PUSH    DWORD %1
  %ENDREP
  %ROTATE -1
  CALL    %1
%ENDMACRO

The last line of the code (CALL), calls the first argument. What I need to do is for the INVOKE to try to realize whether a location that it is calling is actually a defined procedure/label. So INVOKE 0xBADBADBA for example should not work. Does anybody have any idea how I can do this?

Thanks in advance.
Posted on 2007-03-11 09:29:25 by XCHG

1) Is there a way to define multiline comments in NASM? GOD let there be a way. I tried COMMENT as in TASM and MASM but it did not work.

AFAIK, NASM doesn't do anything "multi-line" with the exception of MACROS... which are a bunch of single-line statements anyhow. NASM is an assembler, not a compiler ;)

2) I have written the below INVOKE macro:

%MACRO INVOKE 1-*
  %REP    %0 - 1
    %ROTATE  -1
    PUSH    DWORD %1
  %ENDREP
  %ROTATE -1
  CALL    %1
%ENDMACRO

The last line of the code (CALL), calls the first argument. What I need to do is for the INVOKE to try to realize whether a location that it is calling is actually a defined procedure/label. So INVOKE 0xBADBADBA for example should not work. Does anybody have any idea how I can do this?

Thanks in advance.

Take a look at NASM32.INC from The NASM32 Project, it should give you some idea of what to do ;)
Posted on 2007-03-11 18:22:29 by SpooK
SpooK, do you remember conditional assembling?
%if 0
bla bla bla
%endif
and as well, you can use c-style /*  */ if you are able to modify tokenize() funkction in nasm sources.
I use my own macros where invoke/cdecl always uses external, and call (macro) uses local labels.
Posted on 2007-03-12 06:07:53 by sapero

SpooK, do you remember conditional assembling?
%if 0
bla bla bla
%endif
and as well, you can use c-style /*  */ if you are able to modify tokenize() funkction in nasm sources.
I use my own macros where invoke/cdecl always uses external, and call (macro) uses local labels.

I would opt for the second one, the first one would not look too pretty.
Posted on 2007-03-12 08:04:50 by SpooK
Thank you guys. Appreciate it. Though not supporting multiline comments is really bad in my opinion by I can live with single line comments too.
Posted on 2007-03-13 06:09:10 by XCHG
Well, you should be able to use the "if 0" trick with standard nasm, so in a way it does support multi-line comments. sapero's solution of modifying the source to do /**/ is better imho, and shouldn't be too hard.
Posted on 2007-03-13 06:26:58 by f0dder

Thank you guys. Appreciate it. Though not supporting multiline comments is really bad in my opinion by I can live with single line comments too.

Image the case of *standard* asm file processing with color syntax. The semicolon allows for obvious unique coloring. I'm sure some ASM IDEs take note of the unique case of MASM/TASM's "COMMENT".

If you want a compromise, I would suggest indenting any "sub" comments, like so...

;<COMMENT>
;This is a really long comment
;  that expands multiple lines
;</COMMENT>

It does get annoying. There are times I wish there was multi-line processing in NASM. Perhaps... some day :)
Posted on 2007-03-13 07:38:49 by SpooK
Here is the format that I have chosen for my kernel's documents. It doesn't look good with single-line comments. It could be really better if we had multi-line comments. I want multi line comments. I want the comments. I want them multi line. I really do. Somebody give me multi line comments. What? Oh sorry.
Attachments:
Posted on 2007-03-13 12:40:53 by XCHG

Here is the format that I have chosen for my kernel's documents. It doesn't look good with single-line comments. It could be really better if we had multi-line comments. I want multi line comments. I want the comments. I want them multi line. I really do. Somebody give me multi line comments. What? Oh sorry.

Well, I am actually in communication with those in charge of NASM development and I will add that to my "list" and we will see what arises :)
Posted on 2007-03-13 13:20:23 by SpooK
That'd be great, thank you so much. In the meantime, I guess I should write a program that eliminates multi-line comments from my source codes and then passes the result to NASM. This way I will have my multi-line comments and NASM will not notice it.
Posted on 2007-03-13 15:12:38 by XCHG

That'd be great, thank you so much. In the meantime, I guess I should write a program that eliminates multi-line comments from my source codes and then passes the result to NASM. This way I will have my multi-line comments and NASM will not notice it.

Just modify the nasm sources and add multi-line comments.
Posted on 2007-03-13 17:50:33 by f0dder

Just modify the nasm sources and add multi-line comments.

It's easier to centralize development, but that is a good temporary solution :)
Posted on 2007-03-13 21:32:10 by SpooK
Alright, now this is weird. I was coding some stuff today and came around this weird NASM behavior. Look at the below code:

; Comment Line 1 \
    PUSH    EAX
    PUSH    EBX
    PUSH    ECX
  ;
  PUSH    EDX

Normally, the Comment Line 1 should be a comment but after putting that little back slash at the end of the comment line, all other lines get commented until NASM finds a blank line or another single line comment. So PUSH EAX, EBX, ECX are also commented. What the hell is NASM doing here? Is backslash really supposed to work while commented?
Posted on 2007-03-19 08:11:14 by XCHG

Alright, now this is weird. I was coding some stuff today and came around this weird NASM behavior. Look at the below code:

; Comment Line 1 \
    PUSH    EAX
    PUSH    EBX
    PUSH    ECX
  ;
  PUSH    EDX

Normally, the Comment Line 1 should be a comment but after putting that little back slash at the end of the comment line, all other lines get commented until NASM finds a blank line or another single line comment. So PUSH EAX, EBX, ECX are also commented. What the hell is NASM doing here? Is backslash really supposed to work while commented?

I've been playing around with the assembler portion, not the parser nor evaluator, so I am not fully familiar with every operation... and you may have found one of your answers ;)
Posted on 2007-03-19 08:14:10 by SpooK
It is more weird than it is helpful I guess. Normally when you write documentations and multi-line comments, you have to put some blank lines in there to separate some lines from each other while using this "trick", if I should call it, the blank lines cause the whole comment block to be kind of terminated and you have to do another "trick". I wish somebody could confirm whether this is a bug in NASM or this behavior is by design.
Posted on 2007-03-20 07:23:12 by XCHG

; Comment Line 1 \
    PUSH    EAX
    PUSH    EBX
    PUSH    ECX
  ;
  PUSH    EDX

Once again, Sorry for being so behind on threads lately. I've been away for a while. What version of NASM are you using? I have version 0.98bf and I can't seem to replicate what you are doing. I put the instructions in the code section, built, then opened it in a disassembler and the opcodes where there. So those PUSH instructions where not being commented out in the version I have. If you have a different version, post the version number here I would like to play around with this. It would definately be a bug.

Regards,
Bryant Keller
Posted on 2007-03-20 19:29:40 by Synfire
Posted on 2007-03-21 00:40:30 by XCHG
Yea, your version is newer than mine. I can only assume this is a recently added bug (or an attempt to add multi-line support through the '\' character). I've just came into possession of two barely used P3 computers today, for free, so I've spent most of the day cleaning out all the old owners garbage files/software. When I've finished that I'll update my copy of NASM and try again. Thanks.
Posted on 2007-03-21 18:19:02 by Synfire
No, thank you for your attempt to confirm this. I appreciate it.
Posted on 2007-03-22 03:11:25 by XCHG
XCHG,

I've played around and this isn't a bug. From what I can tell this is supposed to be a primative form for mutiline support by use of the '\' token. Take the following code for example:

%include '\nasm32\inc\win32\windows.inc'
%include '\nasm32\inc\win32\kernel32.inc'
%include '\nasm32\inc\win32\user32.inc'
%include '\nasm32\inc\nasm32.inc'

;                                        \
Multiline comment support                \
is now enabled in The Netwide            \
Assembler.                              \
                                        \
PS: This code is from the NASM32        \
Project                                  \
;

entry    demo1

proc    demo1

invoke    my_p, dword szContentTwo, dword szTitleTwo
    invoke    MessageBoxA, dword NULL, dword szContent, \
              dword szTitle, dword MB_OK
    invoke    ExitProcess, dword NULL
    ret

endproc

proc    my_p
sz_Content    argd
sz_Title      argd

invoke    MessageBoxA, dword NULL, dword argv(sz_Content), dword argv(sz_Title), dword MB_OK
    ret

endproc

_data
    szTitle:      db  'Demo1', 0x0
    szTitleTwo:    db  'Demo1 Procedure', 0x0
    szContent:    db  'Hello from the Application!', 0x0
    szContentTwo:  db  'Hello from the Procedure!', 0x0

I heard the development team was working on various multiline issues thanks to the popularity boost of the NASM32 project after Keith took over, which is why I'm not too suprised about this. A lot of users were complaining about how INVOKE couldn't be span'd over multiple lines and I remember Frank mentioning he would work on it, this must be a side effect of that. As you can see in the above code, the multiline character now breaks up the INVOKE without errors on the new version of NASM (I'm very happy about that, it'll clean up a lot of those API calls). But I must admit I was wrong, this is most definately a feature addition.

Regards,
Bryant Keller
Posted on 2007-03-22 10:40:00 by Synfire