Greetings members...

I tried searching but did not find anything to help with this question.

Question...

Is there a way to register a dll, or force Windows 98 Explorer to load a custom dll at start or re-start without having to use an .exe loader?

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.
Posted on 2007-03-16 14:09:12 by SeaFarer
You mean a custom dll? In theory you would inject it to explorer. I am not really sure but I think thats how some shell skinners work. I think its not worth or legal to reverse it.
Posted on 2007-03-16 16:16:19 by codename
I am not talking reverse engineering or injection.

Take MyDocs.dll for example...

It loads when Explorer starts or re-starts. The same for shell32.dll.

I know how to inject with a loader. I am wondering if it is possible to make explorer load the .dll without having to use an .exe loader to inject.
Posted on 2007-03-16 17:12:36 by SeaFarer
Well if you dont want to modify, if you dont want to inject and if you dont want to interact with it in anyway, how do you expect to make explorer load your dll?

Well try reading some insightful stuff on OLE.
Posted on 2007-03-16 17:20:40 by codename
You can register it as BHO. Then the dll will be loaded every time explorer or IE starts, but you will probably need to modify the dll to fit. Check at msdn.microsoft.com, it used to have a detailed explanation on how to register bho.
Posted on 2007-03-16 18:28:46 by arafel
Code it as a shell namespace extension or whatever...

What are you trying to do, anyway? there's legitimate reasons for having your dll loaded by explorer, and there's ho-humm reasons...
Posted on 2007-03-17 10:00:01 by f0dder
Ho hum..
Posted on 2007-03-18 00:22:16 by Homer
Arafel's response answers your question, SeaFarer.

Since this is not an assembly-language specific question, and more of an OLE/COM one, it is going into The Heap.

I would also suggest reading, or re-reading, The Community Rules and see if your intentions are within the limits of our tolerable forms of discussion ;)
Posted on 2007-03-19 22:01:40 by SpooK