Somewhere in my OS I need to divide a number by 160 and retrieve the remainder. This might happen a lot so I thought of an alternative to the DIV instruction and wrote the below code in which the EAX holds the numerator and after the computations, it will contain the remainder. I was wondering if any of you could please suggest a better and perhaps faster way. (The code takes 12 clock cycles to execute on my PIII 800 MHZ).

; Input -> EAX = Numerator
  MOV    EBX , EAX              ; Save the Numerator temporarily in EBX
  MOV    ECX , 0xCCCCCCCD        ; Constant Reciprocal Multiplier of 160
  MUL    ECX                    ; EDX = EAX DIV 160
  MOV    EAX , EBX              ; EAX is the Numerator again
  SHR    EDX , 0x00000002        ; SHR EDX 0x07 & SHL EDX 0x05, Step 1
  AND    EDX , 0xFFFFFFE0        ; SHR EDX 0x07 & SHL EDX 0x05, Step 1
  LEA    EDX ,   ; Multiply EDX by 160, Step 2
  SUB    EAX , EDX              ; EAX = Remainder of (EAX DIV 160)
                                  ; Output <- EAX = Remainder
Posted on 2007-03-18 03:54:55 by XCHG

Somewhere in my OS I need to divide a number by 160 and retrieve the remainder. This might happen a lot so I thought of an alternative to the DIV instruction and wrote the below code in which the EAX holds the numerator and after the computations, it will contain the remainder. I was wondering if any of you could please suggest a better and perhaps faster way. (The code takes 12 clock cycles to execute on my PIII 800 MHZ).

; Input -> EAX = Numerator
  MOV    EBX , EAX              ; Save the Numerator temporarily in EBX
  MOV    ECX , 0xCCCCCCCD        ; Constant Reciprocal Multiplier of 160
  MUL    ECX                    ; EDX = EAX DIV 160
  MOV    EAX , EBX              ; EAX is the Numerator again
  SHR    EDX , 0x00000002        ; SHR EDX 0x07 & SHL EDX 0x05, Step 1
  AND    EDX , 0xFFFFFFE0        ; SHR EDX 0x07 & SHL EDX 0x05, Step 1
  LEA    EDX ,   ; Multiply EDX by 160, Step 2
  SUB    EAX , EDX              ; EAX = Remainder of (EAX DIV 160)
                                  ; Output <- EAX = Remainder

What is this instance that requires to divide by 160?
Posted on 2007-03-18 04:30:28 by SpooK
One of the procedures that uses this computation is my __CarriageReturn procedure in my Video Driver. I have defined a global variable called VideoCursor which holds the number of bytes that should be added to the start of the Video Segment in order to retrieve the current Video Cursor so that I will know if I should write a character to the screen, where it should go. Now if the user presses Enter, I should divide this value by 160 (160 bytes per row in 80*25) and then get the remainder. The remainder will be subtracted from this value to get the position of the character at the beginning of the current line.

The code that I have written for this procedure is:

__CarriageReturn:
    ; void __CarriageReturn (void)
    PUSH    EAX                                      ; Push the accumulator onto the stack
    PUSH    EBX                                      ; Push the base index onto the stack
    PUSH    ECX                                      ; Push the count register onto the stack
    PUSH    EDX                                      ; Push the data register onto the stack
    MOV    EAX , DWORD PTR             ; Move the value of the global variable into EAX
    TEST    EAX , EAX                                ; See if we are at the first row, first column?
    JE      .EP                                      ; If yes, there is no need to move to the beginning of the line
    MOV    EBX , EAX                                ; Put the value of in the base index temporarily
    MOV    ECX , 0xCCCCCCCD                          ; The reciprocal multiplier for EAX
    NOP                                              ; Prevent dependence chain
    MUL    ECX                                      ; Multiply EAX by ECX (EDX = EAX/ECX)
    SHR    EDX , 0x00000002                          ; SHR EDX 0x07 And SHL EDX 0x07 = SHR EDX 0x02
    AND    EDX , 0xFFFFFFE0                          ; Remove bits 0 through 4 (inclusive) in the result (Multiply by 160)
    MOV    EAX , EBX                                ; EAX holds the original number now
    LEA    EDX ,                     ; EDX = EDX * 160 (Step 2)
    SUB    EAX , EDX                                ; EAX = EAX Mod 160
    SUB    DWORD PTR , EAX            ; Subtract the remainder from the video cursor, beginning of the line
    .EP:                                              ; End of the procedure
      POP    EDX                                    ; Restore the data register
      POP    ECX                                    ; Restore the count register
      POP    EBX                                    ; Push the base index onto the stack
      POP    EAX                                    ; Restore the accumulator
    RET                                              ; Return to the calling procedure, no parameters to remove
Posted on 2007-03-18 04:59:32 by XCHG
Sounds like you would be better off keeping track of X/Y instead of an absolute calculation. You can always multiply X*Y when needed.

;ebx = x
;ecx = y
xor ebx,ebx
inc ecx

This comes in even more handy when you have to deal with "scrolling" the screen and whatnot ;)
Posted on 2007-03-18 05:38:35 by SpooK
Position calculation for your textmode buffer is not going to be a speed-critical piece of code, you're wasting your time on doing micro-optimizations when that time could be spent better elsewhere.
Posted on 2007-03-18 10:59:57 by f0dder

Sounds like you would be better off keeping track of X/Y instead of an absolute calculation. You can always multiply X*Y when needed.

I would agree with that - with a CR, you would just make x=0, and a LF y+1.

You could also use a lookup table filled with line start addresses. (26*4=only 104 bytes for the table)
Posted on 2007-03-19 03:12:59 by sinsi
I don't know but you see, when using a relative cursor position like what I am doing, you will only access a global variable once, and for example printing a character to the screen, add 0x00000002 to it for having moved forward 1 character (+1 attribute) but when you want to have X and Y separately, you will have to read both of them, do the calculation on both of them and store them both to their memory locations. This is also a problem when applying back spaces to the screen because you are going to have to calculate more than relative addresses. I tried implementing this method today and saw all these problems and just thought maybe I shouldn't do it.

Below is my yet-uncommented Write Character procedure.

__WriteChar:
    ; void __WriteChar (DWORD TheChar) ; StdCall;
    PUSH    EAX                                        ;
    PUSH    EBX                                        ;
    PUSH    EBP                                        ;
    MOV    EBP , ESP                                  ;
    MOV    EAX , DWORD PTR                 ;
    MOV    AH , 0x0F                                  ;
    MOV    EBX , VIDEOSEGMENT                          ;
    ADD    EBX , DWORD PTR               ;
    CMP    EBX , VIDEOSEGMENT + VIDEOBYTECOUNT        ;
    JB      .NoScrolls                                  ;
    INVOKE  __ScrollUp                                  ;
    SUB    EBX , 160                                  ;
    .NoScrolls:                                        ;
      MOV    WORD PTR , AX                      ;
      ADD    DWORD PTR , 02h            ;
      POP    EBP                                      ;
      POP    EBX                                      ;
      POP    EAX                                      ;
    RET    0x04                                        ;

But if I had separate variables for X and Y, I had to multiply the Y by 80, multiply the X by 2, add the segment to the result and all that stuff. I really like to hear some opinions about this. I would implement the X and Y approach if I knew the advantages. My Scroll procedure is also implemented easily using this approach. Thank you guys in advance.

Posted on 2007-03-19 04:13:12 by XCHG

But if I had separate variables for X and Y, I had to multiply the Y by 80, multiply the X by 2, add the segment to the result and all that stuff.

Use a lookup table - there's your Y. Then shl X, add Y and there's your address. This can work for any text resolution - even 132x50 VESA modes.
Posted on 2007-03-19 04:41:28 by sinsi