I have a UL APPROVED TSR that loads into upper memory. The source isn't well documented and I want to find out how much space it takes up.

mem/d /c won't show it.

Posted on 2007-06-03 07:25:36 by skywalker
mem/c/d isn't a valid combination of switches...
mem/d/p or mem/c/p should work.
Posted on 2007-06-03 07:34:49 by sinsi
I was indicating that I had used both switches in separate instances.

XP has a boatload of holes in the cmd environment. A lot of int21 stuff isn't reliable. I have started a list called xP_GrenadeList.

Posted on 2007-06-03 14:29:32 by skywalker
well, microsoft are trying to phaze out old dos, with xp and onwards, so im not really surprised some parts arent working anymore... (i take it thats what u mean by 'boatload of holes' ?)...

maybe the tsr hooks the mem interrupts and goes 'stealth' ? could be one reason why it doesnt show
Posted on 2007-06-03 17:46:44 by evlncrn8
I am in no way complaining. AFAIK, there haven't been any bugs produced by TASM since I have been using it.

My stuff isn't real involved, though some of the source code I found was pretty low level.

When I was running Win98, got a little scared after running some boot kernel code from a command line. I am glad Win 98 it had some protection. :-)

I am studying structures again from the masm manual. I was looking at some code that initialized the structure OK but am working to use data,text from the struc to do something useful.

I am assuming that it's in the .data section since it's later changed.

I am happy with XP, and expect it to meet my needs for quite a while.

Posted on 2007-06-03 18:48:26 by skywalker
Keep in mind that each dos app you run has it's own VM, so a TSR run in one command prompt window won't be effective in another.

DOS is pretty obsolete crap anyway, it should've been obliterated years ago.
Posted on 2007-06-04 09:24:38 by f0dder
i hope you're using some sort of virtual environment like vmware/parallels/virtualbox to do your stuff in too... makes things a lot easier especially if you're playing with interrupts and so on and things go ... 'not quite as expected'
Posted on 2007-06-04 13:09:00 by evlncrn8
bleargh - one day we'll have virtual candles on our virtual birthday cakes so we don't risk burning our precious little fingies.
If you are willing to play with fire, you should be willing to get burned, and to take responsibility for your own actions.
Kid gloves and cottonwool do not facilitate a learning environment, they merely help to fill the world with educated idiots.
Posted on 2007-06-05 01:29:51 by Homer
hehehe, yeh but they also save 'recovery' time if things go screwey
Posted on 2007-06-05 03:29:45 by evlncrn8

i hope you're using some sort of virtual environment like vmware/parallels/virtualbox to do your stuff in too... makes things a lot easier especially if you're playing with interrupts and so on and things go ... 'not quite as expected'

I now have a somewhat faster environment. My MB crashed and I built another system.

Little faster processor.

Andy
Posted on 2007-06-06 09:41:35 by skywalker