So I am sitting here board out of my frigging mind from all this wdm device driver porting to KMDF device driver along with suffering from a constant major case of CD (creativity dysfunction) and then I got to wondering just how many forum individuals are professional systems level programmers, professional user mode programmers, and/or those individuals whom's thirst of knowledge keeps them drinking at the fountain of Assembly.

As for myself, I am a systems / firmware through and through whom while I can program (and sometimes do) at the user level I really hate to!  To narrow it down even further, if given the chance I would rather triage / reverse engineer bugs within applications/systems/OS's/drivers that I have no source code to (this use to be one of my jobs when I worked at Transmetta, not to mention a job as a virus researcher and a BIOS patch engineer) and then either resolve those bugs or pass on the information to other developers for them to resolve then program.  This type of programming also lends itself to the overcoming of my creativity dysfunctions; as since I have been programming at this level for almost 15 years I have never been the type who comes up with the ideas (unless it is for making my job simpler through the automation of some process) but have always been the one who creates the solutions (programming is very simple for me and thusly I can switch to new languages very quickly). To top it all of, I am not of the type who likes to do things "just because" and thusly must have a defined goal for each project.

Now that I have rambled on, a direct result of having too much time on my hands (being semi-retired and hunting season still several months away), let me stop taking up your precious time and conclude by asking my final question: if any of you creative types have any ideas for some systems level projects and/or a desire to partake in one?

Posted on 2007-07-12 22:10:53 by madprgmr
An incoming problem is high-definition video: support for Blu-ray drives on Win2k and WinXP. The policy there is "the customer is a criminal, unless otherwise proven". And for the customer to prove himself innocent, he has to buy the latest and most expensive equipment plus Vista, and suffer a bulk of limitations.

Another problem might be almost-perfect thread synchronization on multicore cpus - more specifically the ability to start executing two procs in parallel at exactly the same time. (will require a driver and ring3 API) . Or/and a SwitchToThread2(HANDLE hThread)

That's all I came-up with for now.
Posted on 2007-07-13 09:25:51 by Ultrano
One project I have in mind is vista-related but not really suitable for discussion here.

The other would be supporting those hybrid-harddrives and intel robson/turbocache on 2k and XP.
Posted on 2007-07-13 10:13:09 by f0dder
All of these projects sounds interesting; however, due to a lack of hardware mentioned in each of them I would not be able to jump on them at this time.

However, thanks for the ideas!!

Posted on 2007-07-13 21:09:07 by madprgmr

So I am sitting here board out of my frigging mind from all this wdm device driver porting to KMDF device driver along with suffering from a constant major case of CD (creativity dysfunction) and then I got to wondering just how many forum individuals are professional systems level programmers, professional user mode programmers, and/or those individuals whom's thirst of knowledge keeps them drinking at the fountain of Assembly.

Now that I have rambled on, a direct result of having too much time on my hands (being semi-retired and hunting season still several months away), let me stop taking up your precious time and conclude by asking my final question: if any of you creative types have any ideas for some systems level projects and/or a desire to partake in one?

Do you like target shooting as well?
What calibers do you like ?

When you say systems level programming, could you give an example.
Like is it a program at the kernel level ?

Posted on 2007-07-13 22:49:03 by skywalker

Do you like target shooting as well?

The only target shooting that I do is when I sight in my rifle and when I am testing out new hand loads that I have made.

What calibers do you like ?

My rifles are a 7mm Rem. Mag and a 22 Winchester Mag, while my pistol is a S&W 40 and my shotguns are both a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge.

As of lately, I have also started in on Archery (this will be my first season as an archery hunter).

When you say systems level programming, could you give an example.
Like is it a program at the kernel level ?

For windows based systems this would be at the kernel level, not only developing targeted device drivers for very specific hardware but also developing specialized "patches" to system level bugs (and limitations) and adding special enhancements for a targeted processor.

As for a few examples, here is a link that mentions a few of the things that I have done (it is not yet complete but it does give a good overview):

http://www.4rsons.com/cpp1.htm

http://www.4rsons.com/cpp2.htm

and for those who are interested, a good description of Systems programming can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_programming

and here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_software

Posted on 2007-07-13 23:38:46 by madprgmr