Homer
Community Staff

Re: HideProcess
? Reply #5 on: Today at 01:12:41 AM ?  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
troll?

troll - to celebrate in song.
     - to sing loudly

You're the man.

Take care.

:-)

Posted on 2007-07-13 07:51:38 by skywalker
I think homer meant troll :)

Please keep in mind that the forum rules are set to keep both us and the users out of trouble (which probably boils down to keeping the board up and running, and keep SpooK out of legal trouble) - some of the stuff you've been posting have been quite in the gray zone.

The HideProcess thing had no legitimate uses that you could think of, the "learning" excuse is way too shallow.
Posted on 2007-07-13 21:35:47 by f0dder
I can understand how people on a forum devoted to assembly language would never realize the ignorance in the world, inherently non-ignorant themselves, but there are legit uses. For example:

There is a legit program that has to do critical things to the system in such a way that EndProcess could seriously jeopardize the integrity of the system. These tasks may be legit, as in something that has to write, and *finish* writing, no matter what.

The ignorant will follow common instructions on Anti-virus, or spyware remover sites to end every task that is not recognizable, therefore ending the process perhaps in an important section. Wouldn't it make sense to hide it?

All things can be turned to evil uses. Learning to program could easily be considered something that "has no legitimate uses" in the same way that we were never supposed to use more than 640k.

Learning should never be suppressed. Suppression caused the Civil War.
Posted on 2007-07-26 21:11:51 by tiger12506
Idealism doesn't fight the 2 bazillion script-kiddies and massively useless posts that come with that particular territory ;)
Posted on 2007-07-26 21:28:53 by SpooK

but there are legit uses. For example:

While that may be true, the non-legit uses out way the legit ones.  Thusly, to spare someone the time of having to read and interpret each post (in-order-to see if there is an "evil" purpose behind it or not) it is just simpler (and perhaps smarter) to apply a blanket rule.

Learning should never be suppressed. Suppression caused the Civil War.

Ah but their must be rules behind such activities or their would be nothing but anarchy.  Besides such learning should be done in stages with each stage built upon one another so that one may develop the proper morals and background needed to possess such knowledge rather than just blindly handing it out for anyone to play with as they see fit, regardless if they possess the fundamental knowledge needed to properly understand such knowledge in the way it was intended to be used.  For example, do you just hand over your rifle / pistol to your small child without first teaching them the fundamentals of firearms (both their uses and their dangers)?  I think not.  First you instill upon them the knowledge that they need to properly respect the firearm for what it is and what it can do; then you move on to more advanced things such as firearm safety followed by utilization and care.

Posted on 2007-07-26 21:57:42 by madprgmr

Ah but their must be rules behind such activities or their would be nothing but anarchy.

Well said.  It would be good if people thought of this sort of concept in certain other situations as well, since the lack of such forethought has lead to large problems in the past (and most likely will again in the future).  I could be less cryptic, but I'll let others think of situations where it might apply.  ;)
Posted on 2007-07-27 02:24:40 by hackulous

There is a legit program that has to do critical things to the system in such a way that EndProcess could seriously jeopardize the integrity of the system. These tasks may be legit, as in something that has to write, and *finish* writing, no matter what.

The ignorant will follow common instructions on Anti-virus, or spyware remover sites to end every task that is not recognizable, therefore ending the process perhaps in an important section. Wouldn't it make sense to hide it?

Such a "critical thing" wouldn't run on a clueless end-user computer. And besides, the better approach would be running it as a service with SYSTEM user credentials, then a regular user (administrative account or not) wouldn't be able to terminate it, but it'd still be visible.
Posted on 2007-07-27 05:18:04 by f0dder
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of respect, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if something is excellent or praiseworthy, think about these things. And what you learned and received and heard and saw in me, do these things. And the God of peace will be with you.
Phillipians 4:8,9

Paul understood the influence of one's thoughts on one's life. What people allow to occupy their minds will sooner or later determine their speech and action.

Posted on 2007-07-27 06:50:19 by skywalker
haha, tiger12506's post reminded me how a site like symantec (I only remember it was trustworthy) encouraged stopping of the RPC service :D . Half of the apps in Windows rely indirectly on RPC, so it simply locked Windows up every several minutes for a minute (timeout) XD.
Posted on 2007-07-27 09:20:14 by Ultrano
skywalker: quoting that silly old book won't help you, nor change the fact that you've been posting questionable stuff.
Posted on 2007-07-28 07:06:16 by f0dder

skywalker: quoting that silly old book won't help you, nor change the fact that you've been posting questionable stuff.

Keeping away from strife is an honor for a man,
But any fool will quarrel.

Pro. 20:3
Posted on 2007-07-28 07:19:01 by skywalker
This thread went nowhere long enough. I lock it, if you have something worthwhile to add then report this thread and make your case.

Posted on 2007-07-28 09:18:06 by JimmyClif

This thread went nowhere long enough. I lock it, if you have something worthwhile to add then report this thread and make your case.

I usually don't do this in public, but I have something to report.

Andrew (skywalker), I don't know if you are attempting to become a nuisance or just becoming a plain-old fruitcake... or actually trying to invoke a ban for "whatever" reason... but you need to stop.

I don't have time to baby-sit people who wish to constantly cross the line and neither do the other members of the Community Staff. I am not asking you to like our rules, I am requiring you to follow them. If you cannot do that, then you do not belong here... period.

I haven't done this in a while, but consider this your final warning. Any further attempts to circumvent the rules, especially by instigating religious discussion, and it will be your last post here.

To make this even shorter and to the point... grow-up... or leave. Thanks. -SpooK
Posted on 2007-07-28 12:04:34 by SpooK