"Post any win32Asm related question here that doesn't fit in any of the other forums. Newbies welcome. :)"

so i just come in and wanted to ask.......
what is ASM...how should I start?
i don't know any other language...
i don't know sh*t...:stupid:
Posted on 2001-12-29 05:44:40 by s_k
ASM is assembly language programming, it is a low level programming language meaning you can produce fast code.
If you want to get started in it you'll first need an assembler like masm32 http://www.masm32.cjb.net
Iczellions tutorials will show you how to program windows programs in ASM but you need some knowledge of ASM.
A complete (and very long) guide to the ASM language is "The Art of Assembly Language" search for it on google

Regards
Posted on 2001-12-29 10:09:38 by Quantum
tks very much!!
i think i'll try to learn it.
but i'm already 17 year old, is that too late to start?
Posted on 2001-12-29 16:07:30 by s_k
ofcourse its not late !!
i was older than u when started with programming (asm/c/c++)
i was 18.5 ... now i am 19.5 :D:D:D

anyway just don't give up if becouse every begining is hard
good luck
Posted on 2001-12-29 16:22:22 by Mikky

tks very much!!
i think i'll try to learn it.
but i'm already 17 year old, is that too late to start?

I'm 17, too. Had my first computer 9 years ago.... started programming 7 years ago :-)
Posted on 2001-12-29 17:02:48 by bazik
I am feeling like I want to migrate to Europe, I am in the "States", and haven't run into anyone your age, with half your smarts. I think the "USA" is breeding a nation of users not doers. I love my country, but I am hard put to explain how we got so strong, or how long we will stay that way. How is the weather in Amsterdam?

Anunitu
Posted on 2001-12-29 19:05:30 by Anunitu
Anunitu: how old are you?
I'm 15, live in U.S. and been programming for 'bout 3 yrs
The way you describe the country is exactly how I feel about it.. I have not met (online) anybody who lives in this country and programs ASM... makes me feel alone
:tongue:
Posted on 2001-12-29 19:35:19 by Eagle17
Hi Eagle17,

Very glad to see your post, I am 55, and an OLD coder, was feeling depressed because I haden't seen anyone under 30 here from the states. Code on Dude!!!!!..:)))))

Anunitu
Posted on 2001-12-29 19:56:22 by Anunitu
I live in Poland, and don't know anyone who is coding. Europe isn't better though.

I'm 17,5. Coding for 10 yrs. always asm, asm and asm only.

i don't know any other languages, and i don't want to.

asm is great.

BTW: i'm finishing RPG PC game. i think it's good enough to try sending to EIDOS. CODED 100% in asm.

---------------------------------------------------
The only way to achieve the goal is fight.
---------------------------------------------------
Posted on 2001-12-29 20:27:00 by ti_mo_n
Blah..

Im a born and raised Mississippian (how's that for you.. everyone in the US thinks all Mississippians are stupid and rednecks hehe) that programs in ASM, C++, and Visual Basic. I also dabble in Pascal and many other languages.

I speak enough German (no one in my family is German as far as I know) to be able to be understood by Germans and to be able to understand them. I also plan on learning Vietnamese and Japanese.

All you are getting are the AOL Americans hehe.. not the real net junkies ;)

Torch
17 year old programmer :) Gotta love ASM
Posted on 2001-12-29 22:12:04 by Torch
s_k: read my tutorials at exagone.cjb.net, they explain the basics of win32 assembly itself, then read Iczelion's tutors and try the mosaic tutorial at my site.

Thomas
Posted on 2001-12-30 06:29:56 by Thomas
ti_mo_n

An RPG, let me know when you finish, I am an RPG freak..haven't seen a good one in a while.

Anunitu

You need a beta tester, I guarntee if it dosn't crash with me playing it , no one can crash it.
Posted on 2001-12-30 19:17:00 by Anunitu
RPG... I remember the good old MUD days. AnotherMUD, that were
the days. Btw, the most used MUD source based was developed
in Denmark. DIKUmud... Datalogisk Institut, K?benhavns Universitet.
Faculty of Comp.Sci, University of Copenhagen - note that this is one
of the few places where you sorta *have* to change the word order
in dk->uk to get a non-broken sentence.
Posted on 2001-12-30 21:36:30 by f0dder
s_k,

I hate to see a potential programmer scared off, so I'd like to give you some of my thoughts. ASM is kinda a messy language whose syntax can be kinda cryptic. I would suggest wading slowly into the pool when you don't know how to swim before diving into the deep end. Perhaps you would benifit from a few months/years with VB/Delphi, then a little C/C++ and then try your hand @ ASM. Of course this is only a suggestion and you are quite welcome here; we will all try to answer your questions as best as we can if you decide to stay. I'm just letting you know, cause when I started a few months ago in ASM, I was kinda getting scared off at first because I couldn't understand it right away even though I had a knowledge of various other languages. Which ever route you choose, good luck.
Posted on 2001-12-30 21:46:07 by lackluster
I can't agree more with lackluster. Both for yours and our sake.
Start a few weeks/months (depending on how fast you learn) with
some "easier" language, and preferably get a taste of C (as it's
pretty close to asm and still has a nice+easy+logical syntax), and
then you'll be ready to conquer the world of the machine (-:
Posted on 2001-12-30 21:52:16 by f0dder
I disagree with those statements. I found asm more straight forward and slightly easier to learn than c/c++(not that I'm great at either of them). c/c++ was harder to trace through a program to see how it works with all the calls to methods that are in other modules.
The most important part was the fact that the support of everyone, especially Hutch and Iczelion, on this board(and previous versions) is available and relevant. Other languages have pathetic support for newbies.
Posted on 2001-12-30 23:29:45 by brewmanchu
as far as i know, no language (programming or natural) is "easy" to learn. It always requires effort. You're lucky brewmanchu, 'cause as you said you find asm easier to grasp. I have been programming in MS VC++/MFC for some time and suddenly decided to learn asm. That was a year ago. However, i found most of the available source code too hard to follow. So I had to move back a little and learn C/C++ without the RAD tools (following f0dder and hutch's advice). I would recommend the same thing to any newbie, specially those without prior experience with HLLs.

.pix
Posted on 2001-12-31 03:16:34 by pixelwise
Anunitu,

How's the weather in Amsterdam?

Bad. But they say it'll be a clear night on new year's eve, and that's all I care about :)
Posted on 2001-12-31 03:36:54 by Qweerdy