All:

After much searching through various code archives I have finally located something that I started on way back when (in 2003), that something is titled: MadPrgmr's Writing WDM drivers in Win32ASM.  The problem is that the documentation for this tutorial is not yet finished

With that said, I have the following questions:

01) Is there still any interest in such a beast?

02) Is there anyone who is currently programming WDM drivers in assembler and if so, would you be interested in assisting me in completing this tutorial (the extra motivation and assistance would be of great help)

03)
What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Posted on 2007-08-04 16:37:15 by madprgmr
#1 - most likely :), any additional information that isn't a half-assed rehash of something already existing is always appreciated. I dunno if four-f has updated his KMDkit recentlyl, but that did have a lot of interesting going.

#2 - don't have the time :(

#3 - slightly inappropriate forum? :P
Posted on 2007-08-04 16:52:11 by f0dder
#3 - European or African?
Posted on 2007-08-04 17:05:22 by JimmyClif

#3 - slightly inappropriate forum? :P

yah, probably but I just could not resist.

Posted on 2007-08-04 17:46:01 by madprgmr
you may be interested in this thread:
http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=256

especially this post, that contains example of win32 FASM driver:
http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=256#8913

there are also examples of 64bit win drivers in Examples section of FASM site.
Posted on 2007-08-06 16:11:20 by vid
you may be interested in this thread:

I think that these threads are just talking about VXD's, which are something completely different than a WDM driver.

Posted on 2007-08-06 17:21:59 by madprgmr
No madprgmr, and actually fasm has no VxD support at all. (there are some posts that talks about VxD, though)
Posted on 2007-08-06 17:28:43 by LocoDelAssembly

No madprgmr, and actually fasm has no VxD support at all. (there are some posts that talks about VxD, though)

Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways! (Teach me not to read every post! I guess thats why there is a next button  :shock: )

With that said, I guess I will just lock my wdm asm code back up and move on.

Posted on 2007-08-06 18:56:27 by madprgmr
Btw, afaik, the KMD driver format has been used since at least NT4 - WDM drivers are still KMDs, but they have to support some additional driver entrypoints, especially PNP and power-saving ones.

At least that's my understanding of the whole deal, please correct me if wrong :)
Posted on 2007-08-07 05:21:43 by f0dder
WDM drivers are still KMDs, but they have to support some additional driver entrypoints, especially PNP and power-saving ones.

That is correct, one must add a ton of new code just to properly support all of the PNP and power IRP's not to mention the additional code needed to make sure that you are operating within the proper state for the given command.

Posted on 2007-08-07 10:36:27 by madprgmr