Posted on 2007-08-08 20:19:32 by madprgmr

Why the 16-bit DOS? I don't even have Windows, and I want to program in 32 bit Pmode.

Because that is the closest thing you are going to get to when developing a bootloader. All x86 PC's start from 16-bit Real Mode and must be switched to 32-bit Protected Mode in the bootloader (or somewhere down the line.)

If you want to go straight to 32-bit Protected Mode development, I would suggest using GRUB or some other bootloader to get you to that point.

Edit: Oh, and I don't have a credit card so I can't buy it...

I like your enthusiasm, but your lack of initiative and/or patience is quite wearisome. I don't wish to sound mean, but you will find that most people in this community will only help you if you are willing to help yourself. So that being said, go ahead and actually *investigate* the link I gave to you for a possibility of a freely viewable/download version of AoA.

I've actually gone out of my way responding to every single question you asked (in which the answers can easily be found by searching here or at osdev.org where you posted as well) in the hopes that a taste of success would encourage you and cause you to generate more initiative to learn things properly. Unfortunately, that seems to not be the case.

There is a saying here in the US and it roughly goes... "Catch someone a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach that person how to fish and you feed them for a life time."

People have been giving you the links and the tools in order to be successful. I suggest visiting every link madprgmr gave you... especially the idea of going back to osdev.org since that place has the information, directly or through links, for virtually everything you will need to learn. You have been taught the areas of knowledge you need to study in order to achieve what you want. All you have to do now, is "fish." ;)
Posted on 2007-08-08 20:41:04 by SpooK
Wel I have searched before all kinds of books for free copies, I've actually downloaded every free book I found. The reason I can't buy the book or pay, etc. is because I'm 15 years old. And I also check out every link that is given to me because I do want to make a working OS. Although I haven't checked out the ones that madprgmr gave me because I just got here. Oh and I don't want to use GRUB, I want to make this from scratch. Anyway I'm off to check out the links. Thanks for the help.
Posted on 2007-08-08 22:09:00 by (o_0)

Wel I have searched before all kinds of books for free copies, I've actually downloaded every free book I found. The reason I can't buy the book or pay, etc. is because I'm 15 years old. And I also check out every link that is given to me because I do want to make a working OS. Although I haven't checked out the ones that madprgmr gave me because I just got here. Oh and I don't want to use GRUB, I want to make this from scratch. Anyway I'm off to check out the links. Thanks for the help.

Sounds good.

I started from that point 6-7 years ago and thankfully I found all I needed to know from the internet. I've only bought a couple of books (fairly recently actually) to see if I was missing anything... but I wasn't. Nothing beats the (free) Intel and AMD manuals for architectural information. The OSDev.org OS Faq, Wiki and forums are even more rich in knowledge than when I used it to find things all those years ago. As for assembly language, this place has more information than you'd probably care to know in a lifetime. Other OS projects can be a fountain of information as well.

Good luck with your reading ;)
Posted on 2007-08-08 22:40:59 by SpooK