Hiro, this board has a major bug. I just spent some time writing a reply to someone, clicked POST, and got a server error. So I clicked BACK to find... A COMPLETELY BLANK PAGE This is quite a serious bug. And now as I look back, the posts of the COM section are just GONE. Dang! This message was edited by Ernie, on 1/25/2001 11:58:48 AM
Posted on 2001-01-25 11:57:00 by Ernie
indeed :confused: the board issues an insert into SQL statement How on earth can that erase records? I'll look into it right now
Posted on 2001-01-25 12:01:00 by Hiroshimator
do you remember the error message you got? anything specific?
Posted on 2001-01-25 12:04:00 by Hiroshimator
the problem is that: if it would be the code, then it would happen at every reply. I'm fearing it to be a brinkster failure of some sort. I really need any more info you still remember.
Posted on 2001-01-25 12:09:00 by Hiroshimator
Values = cstr(ParentID & "," & clng(Session("MemberID")) & ",'" & PrepareStr(UserName) & "',#" & PostedOn & "#,'" & IP & "','" & PrepareStr(MsgBody) & "','" & PrepareStr(Email) & "'," & ForumID & "," & clng(Mood)) AddReplyConn.Execute("INSERT INTO Messages (,MemberID,,,IP,Message,ContactAddress,ForumID,Mood) VALUES (" & Values & ")") AddReplyConn.Execute "UPDATE Messages SET = #" & PostedOn & "# WHERE MessageID = " & parentid this is what happens: I don't possibly see how this can delete anything This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 1/25/2001 12:28:45 PM
Posted on 2001-01-25 12:28:00 by Hiroshimator
sorry Ernie. I looked at all the code looking for mistakes but I always explicitly use INSERT INTO and UPDATE SQL statements to prevent the malfunctioning of certain ADO objects such as a recordset. So they only add and edit, no deletion involved whatsoever. In view of referential integrity a message will only get deleted if it's parent forum gets deleted, but the forum still exists. :confused: My guess is that it is an unfortunate access failure :( Do you still remember the exact message that you typed? maybe the fault lies there and I overlooked something :ashamed:. But right now I can't see a mistake anywhere. basically this forum and it's functions have been extensively tested by me before uploading. The functions that are in it shouldn't fail because of a fault in them. This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 1/25/2001 12:43:40 PM This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 1/25/2001 12:44:07 PM
Posted on 2001-01-25 12:36:00 by Hiroshimator
I went over it again, cant find a fault :confused: I'll contact Brinkster, since I've seen 3 server 'hickups' today. Maybe they're is something wrong.
Posted on 2001-01-25 13:30:00 by Hiroshimator
Hiro, Perhaps this occured during another major server error. While I don't remember the screen info (next time I will copy the screen), here was the sequence of events: 1) read a post on the COM board 2) I replied to it 3) filled out a LONG winded reply (don't I always?) 4) Hit SUBMIT, got error message. 5) hit BACK, blank fresh SUBMIT page. UGH !!!!! 6) (later) noticed the first post and reply (what I was orgionally replying to) had VANISHED! I would suspect replying to the vanishing post caused the error. So, why do posts vanish? ;-) Ernie
Posted on 2001-01-25 14:50:00 by Ernie
only reason I can think of is the referential integrity rules that I placed on the database. I will remove those and will just have to pay more attention to certain admin routines. Basically it's the only thing that I can imagine that has happened. Access thought the forum was deleted somehow and enforced the deletion of the sibling records. far fetched but it's all I can think of
Posted on 2001-01-25 15:05:00 by Hiroshimator