i have some question about float : if i do some fld, would i have to pop them later ? if yes, how do i do that without using a var ? why is that forbidden ? fstp var i think it's because of eax, but how can i do that an other way ?
Posted on 2000-11-16 12:25:00 by (scalp)
If your wondering how to retrieve a floak back out of the fpu it's easy: fld F$myvar ; or fild fadd F$myvar2 ; or any other operation you want to do to it. fstp F$myfar3 ; this creates the product of myvar and myvar2 if you wanting to compare then I think you can do this. fcom F$64.0 jl L1 ; Jump if less then 64 jmp L2 ; otherwise jump to L1 Hope that helped Kenny
Posted on 2000-11-17 00:57:00 by real_man
thanx, here is some other question : why can't i do : fild ecx where can i find a list of opcodes and what they do ? thanx (s)
Posted on 2000-11-17 03:56:00 by (scalp)
I think there is only one floating point instructions that communicates directly from fp to cpu - fstsw ax - store status word to ax. This instruction is required after fp comparisons - the relevant bits in ax may then be inspected or - more simply, because the flags are in identical positions - use sahf (store ah to flags) from where conditional jumps may be made (don't depend on the overflow flag, though) One relatively easy way to transfer (32-bit) values from cpu to fpu is to use the stack: push ecx fild dword ptr obviously the cpu stack must be adjusted after the fp manipulations but this can often be done by getting the result back in a cpu register: fistp dword ptr fwait ;recommended (or mandatory?) pop ecx ;the result I believe a list of fp instructions are included somewhere at (or near): http://developer.intel.com/design/PentiumIII/manuals/ eGo
Posted on 2000-11-19 14:39:00 by eGo