Hi again after battle with geocities i still cant make it work so here are some links that DO work: www.timemanagementglobal.com/it/demo08a.zip www.timemanagementglobal.com/it/demo08b.zip dl both files to the same folder unzip and run files in /bin (one is 16bit colours and one is 8bit gray) please excuse for inconvenience Again please send your comments and machine specs... THX once again Bogdan
Posted on 2000-11-18 07:28:00 by BogdanOntanu
82000 10000 Celeron 333 with TNT card and MSIE running.
Posted on 2000-11-18 14:25:00 by real_man
Any coments?
Posted on 2000-11-18 15:43:00 by BogdanOntanu
i have put up a page about the game, with some extra artwork and help at: http://www.gdarchive.net/bogdanontanu/index.htm stay tuned...its growing "as we speak"
Posted on 2000-11-18 16:22:00 by BogdanOntanu
I commented on it before. I don't know if you remember. I orrigionaly commented on the old forum or the gamedev forum. I can't remember. Comments: I won't hold anything back. This is the strait truth about what I think First of all the game looks really cool. The sluggish mouse is kinda irritating though. The artwork needs a bit of work. Right now the terrain is so bland. I just got done playing Red Alert 2 today and I would have to say that the terrain needs improvement. The units look decent though. The game menu is pretty cool. Besides the tool-tips that you said you will implement, it looks good. The interface *might* might need tweaking. The explosions suck. (see below) Suggestions: I really think you should do a 2 1/2D sort of thing. I can't immagine it being very hard to be able to make the terrain have some more depth to it(eg. height). Other things you could do are cool explosion effects and light maps. With the new release of DX8 this would be pretty easy(relitivly speeking...). I am sure you could pretty eisily make a tiled polygon based terrain using all the current bitmaps and stuff just mapped on to a polygon. This would allow you to be able to cull out the unseen parts and add height maps and light maps. 3D explosions would also be cool. You can also take advantage of SCTC(S3 Texture Compression) to be able to fit more bitmaps into video memory. If I were you I would make a quick D3D example putting all of your textures into memory and seeing how the framerate would be with them all mapped on quads. If the frame rate sucks then ditch my idea :) Is it possible to put the game code in the non WM_PAINT section. What I mean is that that game is only calculated when needed. This will make the mouse run at full speed but the units can be displayed at 10fps or whatever your game runs like on my computer. Welp, you asked for comments :) You got em. Hope this helped and best of luck making your game. I know how hard it is, I'm working on a modification for Quake3 right now as an animator and it is near to impossible to please everyone. Good luck man! Kenny
Posted on 2000-11-20 00:27:00 by real_man
wow that came out good. No spelling errors(that I can see) and it is pretty readable. Usualy I post then realize I messed up and edit it but I now know that you can't edit on this forum. If my english sucks, or you can't understand it, I will retype the message for you to understand better.
Posted on 2000-11-20 00:31:00 by real_man
that art rocks man
Posted on 2000-11-21 06:47:00 by Hiroshimator
WOW u did like the artwork? Our artist girl (Adina) blushes...:)
Posted on 2000-11-21 07:25:00 by BogdanOntanu
The units look really cool but the terrain is kinda dumb. That's the onlything I would change.
Posted on 2000-11-21 14:40:00 by real_man
ok i will change/improove the terrain :) we some kinda left that aside ...
Posted on 2000-11-23 05:02:00 by BogdanOntanu
Besides, bogdan, what do you make that game for? For interest or for money? :-)
Posted on 2001-01-08 02:24:00 by Gosha
To fix your slugish mouse problem. Simply read Iczelions tutorials on multi threading. You create a seperate input thread which is not limited to the frame rate. This thread handles DirectInput and updates the mouse. So in the second thread you would (Each iteration) Grab the small rect underneath where your about to paint the mouse cursor and then paint it. You also have to replace the previous small rect to cover up the old cursor position. Does this make sense? Anyhow this is the "professional" method and is what AoE (All versions) use for mouse and also what some of the blizzard games used and some others, but I don't remember them all.... You'll have to think it through deeper than I could describe here. Hope it works out for you! See ya, Ben
Posted on 2001-01-08 20:30:00 by cyberben
I don't know what an RTS game is but this game sure looks good from the screenshots. I guess you gotta be some kind of ASM expert to do such a game. Do you use DirectX? How many years have you been programming ASM? The graphics look very good!!!
Posted on 2001-01-08 20:53:00 by Frank Hale
Could you enlighten me and tell me how many lines of ASM this game is? Its probably some kind of depressing number like 300,000 or something crazy like that. Damn sometimes I wish I wasn't such an ASM newbie! Take care!!!
Posted on 2001-01-08 20:58:00 by Frank Hale
Last time i checked game was 140.000 lines of code a 450k object file (just code without data defines)but is growing every day or so.. assembly rebuild of whole project is between 1s and 5 seconds depending on assemblers and linker options it took us about 6 months to do it (mainly 1 guy at a time in shifts but lately on a 3 ppl team with somehow separated tasks), and i estimate we will release in June or August 2001 Yesterday finnaly we finished stable network sincronizations :) game runned slow on network (10fps beacuse of every frame sincro) but stable and no desincro was ever observed after approc 30 minutes of network play and fight (and CRC32 checked :) ) We are now moveing to TechTree implementation and Computer Player AI (we will also make mon every frame sincro to improve network speed) Actually i think it does not taje much of ASM to know in order to make such a game...just algorithms and a big picture and a lots of work and experience O honestly think guy here like Iczelion and Huchs and otheres are better asm coders then i am... But again i like what i do very much...this is what finally maters :) We will probably have a final pre alpha release late this month...or early February...then we wil go Alpha then Beta....then :) However this is a living example that a big/huge ASM project can be done fast and small and easy :)
Posted on 2001-01-08 23:51:00 by BogdanOntanu
PS last working links for download,story, screenshots etc are on www.angelfire.com/games3/bogdanontanu/ or: www.gdarchive.net/bogdanontanu/index.html and: www.geocities.com/bogdanontanu/ (but dl dosent work ok from geocities) we are still searching for a reliable stable site :) the latest demo version is 08 and there is a update available Bogdan
Posted on 2001-01-08 23:56:00 by BogdanOntanu
and again dont be depresed by the lines number... it just adds up if you work every day :) and there are a lots of "copy and paste" similar things there :) starting it up is not hard...finishing is harder...
Posted on 2001-01-08 23:59:00 by BogdanOntanu