Say i want to make a child box appear in a program prompting for a password before going any further after pushing a button, or after the program starts. How is this possible. Also, i had seen a while back, a way to make letters/numbers in a text field show as Asteriks only. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks! Nokturnal
Posted on 2000-12-11 12:38:00 by Nok
Well, to come to the part with the just showing asterisks only. This is just a sytle you send to the edit field (ES_PASSWORD) and you can use the message EM_SETPASSWORDCHAR to use any char instead of the asterisk. But I don't think that this is really useful, if want to make it somehow secure against bored kids with SoftICE. There are a lot of programs that simply get the content of your password field and disable the ES_PASSWORD style. If you want a real Password dialog (maybe with username and password) then you should code some nice routine that gets the name and generates the password. One good example for a hard algo is a crackme source by Cruehead. I can send it to you if you don't have it. Please make sure that you never use hardcoded serials as they are much to easy to find out (W32DASM8.9). Stefan
Posted on 2000-12-11 16:10:00 by Stefan Krause
Yah, what if you subclassed a text box, so that when you receive a character you actually place an astrisks in the box and add the received character to your own private string? This way the you can not use a program to retrieve the characters in the dialog box because there are no characters in the text box! What do you think? Just an idea, Ben
Posted on 2000-12-11 21:56:00 by cyberben