What is the general concensus on open source here? Do you guys like it? Dislike it? I am a big Linux / GNU fanatic so all of my code goes GPL but that is a personal preference. I know that open source and windows software don't go hand in hand but times can change correct?
Posted on 2001-01-09 20:03:00 by Frank Hale
Assembly programming is my hobby, I do not expect to make any money off it. I do it for the personal achievment and knowedge I can gain. So... I like to 'publish' some of what I do on my web page. You may call that 'open source' as I freely invite people to learn from what I've done. I don't do GNU or that. Should someone wish to SELL something derivative from my work, then I do expect to be paid. Thus I copyright everything I do to limit it to 'educational' use. I don't get fancy in the copyright disclaimer. Should my work wander into a commercial work, I'm not about to hunt someone down and sue. Should honest people re-ise my work, they would contact me.
Posted on 2001-01-09 23:22:00 by Ernie
We had a thread like this earlier, and it got ugly! What was decided was that its up to you if you want to, and if you don't then that is also fine... Mirno
Posted on 2001-01-10 06:13:00 by Mirno
I don't intend to start any kind of flame war here on the merits of open source or closed source. I was just trying to get a feeling for peoples own philosophy. I personally like open source because that means that anyone can benefit from my work. The GNU GPL license fits nicely with my way of thinking because at current I program as a hobby so I don't expect to make money off of what I do.
Posted on 2001-01-10 07:15:00 by Frank Hale