After posting a reply, I finally figured what has been bothering me. While topics are arranged in time order, once a reply is posted, the time stamp of the topic is changed to that of the reply, so the topic moves towards the top, instead of remaining where it was before. How is this bothering me? Well, the topics are constantly shifting position. Every time I check the message board, I like to scroll down and see which is the last topic I about which I remember and once I find that topic, I read upwards fromt there. Because the topics are shifting position, I notice that there are new posts below the topic which I remember as the last one I read, so it's hard to keep track of the ones I read. In my opinion, the time stamp should reflect the posting time of the original message.
Posted on 2000-12-24 21:40:00 by Hel
When I read the messages, I read em all. When I come back, I want to know what is new. Keep the time stamp as to the thread's activity.
Posted on 2000-12-25 00:13:00 by Ernie
Sorted on a time basis means the entries at the top are live ones, it means you don't have to scroll down to find the active topics. What usually happens with order based entries is they get lost down the list, I prefer it as it is. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2000-12-25 04:59:00 by hutch--
I agree, it is good as it is now !
Posted on 2000-12-25 11:24:00 by (scalp)
I agree, leave it the way it is. Ewayne
Posted on 2000-12-25 13:10:00 by Ewayne
I like it the way it is right now too! - Ben
Posted on 2000-12-25 18:09:00 by cyberben
I disagree with Hel too! Keep it the way it is! In fact I originally made the recommendation to Iczelion about keeping active topics near the top.
Posted on 2000-12-28 22:06:00 by Devin
I'm not a big player here, but I can see both sides. What about a sort order button on the webpage? Just a suggestion, I know Iczelion must be very busy. David P.S. Where does the timestamp come from? I would assume the web-server but I thought I saw someone answer a question before it was asked (or that's how it appeared). I just assumed it was because the replier was replying from an earlier timezone.
Posted on 2001-01-02 16:38:00 by David_