Has anyone used API Monitor from rohitab.com? I saw the author recommend it in a usenet group, and it might be helpful with a program I'm trying to write. API Monitor is supposed to catch and report on API calls for any program running. I've been trying to write a small program to allow an immediate, push-one-icon screen-saver. This program could either just blank the screen, go to low-power mode, or turn monitor off. I would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations! I thought of using the API Monitor to watch what happens when I press the "PREVIEW" button on the screen-saver tab of the Display Properties applet. I don't know if this Display Properties applet is a screen-saver program itself, or just calls some WIN32 API when I press the "PREVIEW" button. Thanks, Joe
Posted on 2001-01-04 06:32:00 by farrier
ummm as far as i know it just starts the screensaver with /S as the commandline... not really sure but i think it was /S
Posted on 2001-01-06 22:48:00 by NervGaz
Hello, on Betrayed's site there is such a program as you want to write. It is in the taskabr I think and by pressing F12 your default screensaver starts. Go and check it under http://betrayed.tsx.org/ in the ASM section. Stefan
Posted on 2001-01-07 13:21:00 by Stefan Krause
Still hoping to hear from anyone using API Monitor! Stefan, Thanks for the suggestion, Betrayed site had the clue I needed to get the screensaver working. I got two short programs working: 1)envokes the regular screensaver which responds to the keyboard or mouse movement; 2)puts the monitor into low-power mode, but does not wake up as a regular screensaver would. So after the low-power mode is activated, I set up a MessageBox which responds to the Mouse Click/Keyboard to turn the monitor back to regular mode. 1) invoke GetDesktopWindow ;Get Desktop Handle invoke SendMessage, eax, WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_SCREENSAVE, NULL ;Send ScreenSaver message invoke ExitProcess, eax 2) invoke GetDesktopWindow ;Get Desktop Handle mov gdw, eax invoke SendMessage, gdw, WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_MONITORPOWER, 1 ;Send LowPower Message invoke MessageBox, NULL, ADDR lpok, ADDR lpok, MB_OK ;Wait for user to retore Screen invoke SendMessage, gdw, WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_MONITORPOWER, -1 ;Send PowerOn Message invoke ExitProcess, eax 3)Should have worked, but hasn't yet. Setting the SC_MONITORPOWER parameter to 2 should set the monitor to PowerOff but I haven't gotten this to work, yet! Only tried on Win95. Again thanks, Joe
Posted on 2001-01-13 13:19:00 by farrier