Hello all, First i would like to introduce myself, I feel i am a stonge coder but extreamly out of date :P. I have tinkered with Iczelion's tutorials of the last couple of months, unsure if win32asm is *right* for me, and i have since come to a stong conclusion the is very *right* for me.. witch leads me to my posting here: I have decided to start up a personal project to *really* learn the win32asm in a very sytematic fasion (by imposing self-subscibed asm projects and writing up notes etc.), but all the while i dont take too many large steps (No offense to Iczelion, your tutorials are great, but i have found they jump around alot and im often wondering to myself if certain things are to be *understood completely* or just remebered and referenced again l8r if needed..) I realize the experts often find it hard to *slow down* thier optomized thought processes :) so i dont expect such in these tutorials, but i do want to get a complete coverage as i slowly develop project assignments etc. in homework.. my problem that existes is: ".. if your were to start teaching your best friend, what topics would you want to completely stress?? Or feel to be a crutial stage in win32 understanding and groth?? What pre-requisits do you feel is needed before starting other higher-level topics??" I encourage any and all thoughts on this, in hope to utilize this forum to help build my overview of how i should begin such a large project.. Thanx in advanced for your help... NaN
Posted on 2001-01-08 01:43:00 by NaN
I agree with you totally! I have the full set of TUT's from Iczelion's page and it seems to me that alot if not an enormous amout is just reitteration of what is found in programming books from the C and C++ language topics ie... Programming Windows by Charles Petzold! I would have hoped that someone maybe myself as I progress further would take the time to connect all of the loose ends and fill in all of the missing pieces that have been left out. This is not to take anything away from what Iczelion has done with his hard work on these TUT's , but I agree that the more information a person has on certain subjects as to completeness lends to a better learning process! So far his work has helped to point me into the correct direction in Win32asm , but I am having to write and build alot of things that I need to know about in C or C++ and then Disassemble them and look at the ASM code to figure out exactly what is happening and then by also reading Technical manuals and references put some more of the picture together. I also am working on a project to do just that bring more information to fill in these blank areas in question. Well that about sums that up so for what ever it is worth I believe that these TUT's are a very essential part and even though there are gaps in the subjct matter they are still the best on the net until someone comes up with a better more complete series!!! enough said Richard Ferguson
Posted on 2001-01-08 20:35:00 by Richard Ferguson
It's a very tough thing to do. There is a lot of material. Just covering everything you can do with just the window frame can take a lot of the time you can spend learning about basic GDI graphics. Most of it is simple, but there are a lot of things you can do. To understand Win32 well, you must understand message passing, threads and processes, the window hierarchy (and Z-order), window classes and windows as objects, resources, module loading, memory management (and address spaces), exception handling, and the graphics entities known as "device contexts". ASM programmers must be completely aware of calling conventions, which include register saving conventions. I've deliberately left out some topics that you need for doing useful things like mouse and keyboard input, timers, files... and shortcuts like dialog boxes, controls...
Posted on 2001-01-08 23:34:00 by Henry S. Takeuchi
Agreed, but I do want to cover just that. And besides, I didnt feel I needed to lead so much on, but I have a Degree in Electrical Controls so hardware/timers/etc. im not worried about having to understand anything new there. Im also studying Electrical Engineering and have been programmin one language or another for what seems like eons.. (( first started ml on the Commie 64 ))... I have seen most of what your briefly outlined from various other languages, but not consciesly in any one language at once so there will be some learning curve there. Between Java and C++ I have a good understanding of OOP and its fundementals. My problem (my 'prime directive' :P if you will) is to stop re-inventing the wheel as i have been over the years an start utilizing windows' technologies etc., mainly in the field of roboic contols (discrete PID controllers etc.).. I have a good mastry of hardware design, but Im crippled in trying to move from DOS's restiction free I/O-Interupt 'land' to windows bizar world of the driver.. (( over the last year or so i have been mucking around with WDM/VXD stuff on the web )) and only finaly came to the conclusion that win32asm yield the smallest overhead in producing quality programs and shows stong advantage in its flexibility and more importantly to me READABILITY (Visual C++ is a nightmare!), but im not nieve enought to think i can jump into the WDM/VXD stuff only loosely covering win32asm fundemantals, which is why i posted my earlier request to hopefully get some sugestions from those who have already been down the beated road a bit :) PS: I H A T E microsoft's idea of 'documentation' which is another reason i wish to embark vigoriously on win32asm (since it seems to be develeoped and maintained by programmers void of the microsoft propaganda machine ~ this doesnt mean i dont like microsoft's technologies, just there marketing approaches.) PPS: Im ~ halfway though Iczelions tutorials (scouring over the details), but im running into a wall when trying to find more informations on windows procedual calls, which leads me to find an API reference ~~ does anyone out there have a favourite?? MSDN is tooooo convoluted i find.. thanx again... NaN
Posted on 2001-01-09 16:34:00 by NaN