Dear fellows, It has been over two years since my site has been on the net. I believe it serves its primary objective quite well, that is, promoting win32asm programming. With that goal in mind, my site is full of material/info oriented for beginners so ppl can get "hooked" on win32asm easily ;) Now I believe there are enough ppl interested in win32asm and I want to support the more advanced win32asm coders as well. I have browsed several great programming sites on the web and saw many sections that cater to intermediate to advanced programmers. The list below is roughly my thought about the new sections: -How it really works : disassembling the OS itself or an application to see how it implements a feature. -Cool tricks : how to perform the tricks the professionals use in their popular products such as skinning, docking windows, etc -Reusable Code Base : repository of libraries/functions that can be reused by others The list may not be complete. But one thing is certain: I cannot pull off the above projects alone. I'm not proficient in all programming areas (and I'm not a programmer by profession). I want to ask your opinions on the possibilities/strategies for those topics. Please feel free to comment about myself or my site: I'll not take it as an offence ;)
Posted on 2001-01-09 01:48:00 by Iczelion
Iczelion, I would be interested in helping. I'm working on another IDE for Masm/masm32 and some of these features, like the libary is one of my endeavors to support in the product. I would be willing to help in anyway I can. It was you're tutorials that first got me started in win32 assembly. I'm a fan of you're site. Shawn
Posted on 2001-01-09 03:38:00 by _Shawn
I agree with you. It could be cool. I could help you if you want. As it is said, your site is excellent, noxw I go on it everyday. Vom-bonjour:-() (ASM IS GREAT)
Posted on 2001-01-09 08:01:00 by Vom-bonjour:-()
'How it really works', that would be my pick. It's hard to find any info on how Windows and everything works on the really low-level. If I wouldnt have found you site Iczelion, I'd still be doing asm in DOS :). Soo, thanks for everything. Same thing goes out to Hutch. This forum has become an everyday-visit for me now.
Posted on 2001-01-09 15:35:00 by mars_matrix
I always thought www.codeguru.com had a very nice style of presenting different sections to its readers. What I particularly like is how they separate sections based on windows controls. That is great if you are looking for a specific functionality or tutorial on how to get a control to do something unique, it makes for quick navigation. I also like how they have articles written about different aspects of programming and such, maybe you could feature articles from more experienced ASM coders or maybe even some articles from newcomers. I'd certainly enjoy such a site with an ASM twist. While I don't program in MFC or much Win32 I have thought that, that site had a certain amount of stickiness for me. I just keep going back for some reason or another. Maybe get a dot.com for win32asm or something. What I'd really like would be a site where newbies and oldies could communicate and share on an equal basis. Make it a community of win32asm programmers where people are respected and can give back to their community. Don't try to do what most other sites do and thats push products. Think more about your readers and contributors. Sorry if this sounds like a criticizm. Its not. I am just throwing some ideas out there. Feed on whatever you like, ignore what you don't! Anyway I wish you the best with whatever plans you make. I'll try to post more ideas if I can think of some good ones! Take care, and by the way the new tutorial on Syntax Highlighting with the RichEdit control is great!!! Very informative and easy to read even for a newbie!!!
Posted on 2001-01-09 19:42:00 by Frank Hale
Shawn and Vom Bonjour: thanks for the support. What I lack is the contributors. I can't write all the articles alone. Mars_Matrix: Good to know you're interested in the low-level stuff. I once disassembled vmm.vxd/kernel32.dll and found out many interesting things about them. Perhaps we could conduct the section by presenting the dissected,commented disassembly of win32 api functions much like Matt Pietrek did in his magnificent book, Windows 95 Systems Programming Secrets. Frank: I like the layout of codeguru.com too. The layout of my site dated back 2 years ago when there was not much material on win32asm. I think it's time to partition it into distinct categories so it's easier to find information one seeks. I also feel that my site should be more "dynamic". Currently, it's very static: users can get stuff off the site but they cannot really interact with it. I can do ASP but the problem is the web hosting that gives support for ASP. Brinkster is good but to a certain limit: One can't install ASP components on it. I accept articles, to be published on my site. However, I forgot to state that on my site. Like codeguru.com, I would like the users to be able to comment on the articles they read, even gives them ratings,recommends them to their friends, etc.
Posted on 2001-01-09 23:24:00 by Iczelion
Again the site is great!... in fact, the first time i found the site i ripped the entire page to my HD in fear of it going down :P I think its cool your moving in new directions as well. I personally think they are all good ideas, but the first and third are the best especially one. Im a control freek and really dont like *not* knowing anything more than a functions abstration for some things, expanding and analysing windows features would help leave a lasting understanding such that memorizing certian window code snippets would be less needed as one would be able to rebuild code from understanding if needed. I like the free code base idea as well, i like the idea of sharing coding idea's (while still giving reference to the coder). I think it would be great to learn from and i find cool little short cuts emerge best from this. My concern on this is that providing this could begin to move more like a higher level language if some of the .lib donations are more loosely coded or geared for general use.. most likely this will not be the case, but a point i though worth mentioning.. (Im not trying to imply that asm coders are as sloppy as VC++ etc. rather asm's unquiness stems from its ability to *trim off the fat* if you will, such a code base presented with a new IDE may remove some of the luster.. but then again it may be *just* what a beginer could use to help forge his own coding identity) Ack.. I feel like Frasier on TV.. :P NaN
Posted on 2001-01-09 23:34:00 by NaN
Icelion, I use to subscribe to the C/C++ journal and in every issue they had a "wanted articles" section where they outlined the basis for the article and them hoped for some contribution from the readers. Maybe you could consider the same sort of thing. Great site, by the way. fiddler
Posted on 2001-01-10 00:17:00 by fiddler
I will also help you i any way i can As a suggestion include a ASM/Games section also :) I will be happy to write articles and or do any help req.
Posted on 2001-01-10 00:27:00 by BogdanOntanu
Iczelion, To make your site more dynamic in ASP will be difficult as you said because of the web hosting. So you can think about making it with Php. I and i sure others can help you if you don't know it. I can even host it if you want (http://win32asm.guyane.nu if you wanna see a little of what can be done).
Posted on 2001-01-10 03:52:00 by Maurice
If you wanted to have your site and code open sourced then you could get a web hosting at www.sourceforge.net your url could be win32asm.sourceforge.net and they offer MySQL databases, PHP, CGI-BIN, Perl, etc.,etc.,etc... They have alot of nice features I currently have 2 projects hosted there. It is a free service for open source programmers. I am not sure what your feelings are on this or where you want to go with Win32ASM but it is just a suggestion to get some ideas out there.
Posted on 2001-01-10 07:11:00 by Frank Hale
Maurice: Your suggestion gives me a better idea. At first, I thought about the change in my own site. Now, I'm thinking about a new "win32asm web community". This community would be web-based and provides the place for interactions between win32asm coders such as:
  • live java-based chat for the coders who don't have IRC access
  • article/essay section where all can contribute, subject to the guidelines specified for each topic. Readers can comment/ask the authors on subjects related to the essay/article much like codeguru.com
  • project center where coders can find others with similar interest and corroborate on their projects. There should be support like file repository/code exchange
  • mailing list
there may be other desirable features but those are what I can think of right now. What do you think?
Posted on 2001-01-10 08:08:00 by Iczelion
Iczelion, I think that it's a lot of work but it surely worth the pain. So if you need some help, you've got my mail.
Posted on 2001-01-10 08:39:00 by Maurice
How about a "request for improvements" section where you can post some code of yours, not big things, but small handy procedures, and then if someone else knows a better way to do what you did they upload their version or the improved version. It could come with a comment section to where users can make comments about the code. Oh well it is an idea.. it could be done with a simple forum too :)
Posted on 2001-01-10 11:51:00 by Zynaps
I'd welcome everything that has to do with low-level stuff, specially VxD and SYS (for NT). Thank you for the site!
Posted on 2001-01-10 12:00:00 by Tangle