Hi, I liked a lot the tutorials and examples and I have 2 questions about copyright: - Iczelion: may I use your examples/tutorials in order to produce commercial stuff? Example: Create an PFE-like text editor with your RichEdit tutorial and use that editor in writing commercial asm programs (but the editor created based on your tutorial I will give it free). -MASM: is it free to use it in producing commercial programs or is it just for developing drivers?
Posted on 2001-01-13 18:08:00 by CristiO
My tutorials themselves must not be used commercially, eg, sold, given as a part of a commercial product. However, you are free to use the info in them anyway you like.
Posted on 2001-01-13 18:14:00 by Iczelion
Thanks Iczelion. Any ideea about MASM being totaly free?
Posted on 2001-01-13 18:23:00 by CristiO
You'd better download Win98 DDK and read the agreement there
Posted on 2001-01-13 18:47:00 by Iczelion
How would anyone know you used MASM to create you program unless you told them? Is there anything in the exe which says "Created with Masm 6.x"? There might be for all I know. And if it is a violation of usage then why would anyone here be wasting there precious time writing code in MASM if such a crazy thing existed? Now if its true you cannot use MASM to produce commercial apps then I may just forget learning it altogether. Or use Spasm or something else. I mean whats the point? Who knows if I may ever want to sell something I make.
Posted on 2001-01-13 20:02:00 by Frank Hale
Questions concerning ownership of application one authors on 'borrowed' or warzed tools may always be avoided by simply purchasing all your development tools. One may laugh at me for buying MASM, but I got a nice set of manuals, and a little yellow slip of paper being the EULA granting me the right to produce independent work with the tools. And the box looks kinda cool on my shelf too. That aside, hutch has gone to some trouble to ONLY include products that MS itself includes in it's free downloads. This makes the licence point a bit moot. Should you wish to avoid any question, download the main tools yourself.
Posted on 2001-01-14 01:12:00 by Ernie
It seems reasonbly that if you produe commercial software that you pay for the tools you use to create that software. If you are just fouling around not producing anything worthwhile then..... fiddler
Posted on 2001-01-14 02:56:00 by fiddler
Reading the licence agreement usually helps in these matters, for the Microsoft component of MASM32, there are 2 licence agreements, one for the win98ddk and the other for the platformsdk, this is where you get the right to use ML.EXE, LINK.EXE, RC.EXE and the libraries that are used by MASM. Because MASM32 is a freeware project, it is protected under copyright and this includes all of the code, include files, examples, libraries, binaries etc ... This is to prevent some lazy slimebag from trying to make a quick & dirty buck out of someone else's work. MASM32 is true freeware and cannot be sold or included in any other package. If emails asking for permission to bundle MASM32 with a book and the many other commercial offers were printed, you could wall paper a house with them. Now the general rule is if you write the code, its yours, MASM32 is licenced specifically for programmers who want to write commercial programs. What cannot be done with MASM32 is include any of its files in a commercial program or package. This keeps the project alive with different people being able to contribute to other assembler programmers with their code. I understand Iczelion's tutorials are licenced in much the same way, you can use them and learn from them but you cannot sell them or include them in a commercial package. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-01-14 05:28:00 by Steve Hutchesson