which version is faster?
Posted on 2001-01-20 01:44:00 by rash
I downloaded the new whistler directx sdk - only to see what are the differences between v7.0 and v8.0. But I found nothing :) beaster.
Posted on 2001-01-23 04:49:00 by beaster
DX8 fixed some performance bugs in a couple of DX7 functions, and added a whole new set of things for the current, and next gen graphics cards (per pixel shading etc.). Also DX8 didn't provide any DDraw functions, if you want DDraw you must use the older DX7 (or less) interfaces. As such there can be no mixing of DDraw and D3D as with previous DX versions. MS's reasoning behind it was that DDraw has no support for several features already in D3D, and everybody has an accelerated card anyway (if you must do 2D, why not make a sprite a poly, alpha out the appropriate parts, and texture it?). The other main differences are in peripheral control, apparently the DPlay stuff is a whole lot better, and DInput has been overhauled. I haven't done too much with it, but thats what I gathered :) Mirno
Posted on 2001-01-23 07:03:00 by Mirno
the fact that ddraw isn't in dx8 makes no difference other than that it's not in the SDK... it still works... for some reason...
Posted on 2001-01-23 17:42:00 by NervGaz
There is no compatability between D3D8 interfaces, and DDraw 7 interfaces, any that you find is purely coincidental and shouldn't be relied upon! Thats not to say DDraw has been removed, it still exists in its DX7 incarnation, but there was no update, or provision for compatability with D3D8. This means any new features provided in DX8 (per pixel shading (which uses "asm" ;) ) etc.) cannot be used in DDraw as DDraw is v7, and pixel shaders are only available in v8... Mirno
Posted on 2001-01-24 05:58:00 by Mirno
the funny part is that in directx 9 there will be again directdraw part of the cake:)
Posted on 2001-01-25 21:43:00 by geecko
According to the DXdev list (many moons ago just after DX8 hit the market) the reason DDraw was dropped was purely a time issue. Lots of new stuff, so little time :) Mirno
Posted on 2001-01-26 05:55:00 by Mirno