This is about Win32Asm programming, not about Win32 reference. Tasks for peaple who brave enough give it a try to write his/hers own code not paste from given source. And brave enough to publish it for discussion in persue of studing programming to be able at the end to learn how to make his/hers original code and style. I'm going to give some tasks of general perpose and interested in any code compliting these tasks even though from some view it might be not optimal. Both algo logic and asm specific optimization are important. Send solutions! We shall over come :) TASK #1 You got file attributes in eax (May be as the return from GetFileAttributes function) Based on this value construct the string in some buffer which will simbolically represent this attributes For example if eax==FILE_ATTRIBUTE_READONLY or FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SYSTEM (4 or 1 = 5) Your proc or macro must formate string 'readonly system',0 if eax == 1 - just 'readonly' and so on TASK # 2 Write a proc or macros which fill buffer with string info about specified file time creation and last modification. As to Win32 ref. needed you can obtain this info into WIN32_FIND_DATA by calling FindFirstFile. It'll be in members: FILETIME ftCreationTime; FILETIME ftLastAccessTime; FILETIME ftLastWriteTime; Than you can convert it to somewhat more comfortable to work with by calling FileTimeToSystemTime.(If you are advanced coder you don't need even this) The rest is your task. As a result there must be string filled into specified buffer Example of format: 'Created: 12.11.2001',13,10 'Last modified 12.14.2001',13,10,0 I'll awaiting your replies The Svin.
Posted on 2001-02-01 05:59:00 by The Svin
You are kidding...dont you? :D write your own code man...for such mundane tasks... i have a task for you: write a full RTS game :) and send me your code....just to see if you have style..that is of course... :) now back to reality.sys those things are simple mundane taskd ...no big asm gems...so why such tasks..? no fun, no glory, no nothing... be brave do your homework... Bogdan
Posted on 2001-02-01 06:47:00 by BogdanOntanu
A reaction as I expected. BogdanOntanu: I don't think this is what The Svin means. He is offering people a learning opportunity by letting them write a specific code assignment and comparing the published code. This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 2/1/2001 7:13:15 AM
Posted on 2001-02-01 07:12:00 by Hiroshimator
Here's my solution to task #1:

; possible values:
;FILE_ATTRIBUTE_READONLY    equ 00000001h   ;1st bit 
;FILE_ATTRIBUTE_HIDDEN      equ 00000002h   ;2nd bit
;FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SYSTEM      equ 00000004h   ;3rd bit
;FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY   equ 00000010h   ;5th bit <-4th bit skipped
;FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE     equ 00000020h   ;6th bit
;FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL      equ 00000080h   ;8th bit <-7th bit skipped
;FILE_ATTRIBUTE_TEMPORARY   equ 00000100h   ;9th bit
;FILE_ATTRIBUTE_COMPRESSED  equ 00000800h   ;12th bit <-10&11th bits skipped
;FILE_ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE     equ 00001000h   ;13th bit
; --- Text table in the bit order of the attribute values (lsb first) ---
; --- the format is: skiplength (length of text+1), "attribute text"  ---
AttReadonly     db       9,"readonly"
AttHidden       db       7,"hidden"
AttSystem       db       7,"system",1       ;1 is for skipping of 4th bit
AttDirectory    db       10,"directory"
AttArchive      db       8,"archive",1      ;1 is for skipping of 7th bit
AttNormal       db       7,"normal"   
AttTemporary    db      10,"temporary",1,1  ;1's are for skipping of 10&11th bits
AttCompressed   db      11,"compressed"
AttOffline      db       8,"offline",0 

FileName        db      "C:\scandisk.log",0 ;just some file on my disk
.data?
Output      db 50 dup (?)                   ;output buffer
.code
start:
    ; --- get some attributes ---
    invoke  GetFileAttributes, ADDR FileName    
    ; --- set pointers ---
    mov     esi, offset AttReadonly ;first in list
    mov     edi, offset Output
    mov     byte ptr ,0 ; if eax=0, no attributes at all (is this possible?)

; --- in this loop, the return value is shifted out bit by bit, and if a ---
    ; --- bit is set, the right text is added to the output string           ---
    .WHILE  eax!=0
        ; --- shift out next bit ---
        shr eax,1   
        ; --- if bit is set add attribute text to output ---
        .IF     CARRY?
            inc     esi
            ; --- adds an attribute text, when it encounters a byte value lower ---
            ; --- than 15, it is assumed to be the skiplength of the next text, ---
            ; --- and the output for the current attribute is finished          ---
            .WHILE  1
                mov bl, 
                .IF     bl<15 ; could be something else than 15, too
                    mov byte ptr , " " ;add a space
                    inc edi
                    jmp @skip2
                .ENDIF
                movsb
            .ENDW
        .ENDIF
        @skip:
        ; --- if the bit is NOT set, the skiplength is used to jump over the  ---
        ; --- current attribute text and point to the start of the one that   ---
        ; --- follows.                                                        ---
        xor     ebx, ebx
        mov     bl, 
        add     esi, ebx
        @skip2:
    .ENDW
    dec     edi
    mov     , al   ;al = 0 here after while loop (terminating 0)
    invoke  MessageBox, NULL, ADDR Output, ADDR AppName, NULL
    invoke  ExitProcess, NULL
end start

Thomas This message was edited by Thomas, on 2/1/2001 11:46:23 AM it's better to use the and tags (remove the x) if you wish to represent code This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 2/1/2001 2:57:13 PM
Posted on 2001-02-01 11:46:00 by Thomas
Thank you, Thomas for your answer. I'll be carefully examined. And the good think is that you commented your for people not just to paste but to study. Try other task. Always happy to read your ideas. The Svin.
Posted on 2001-02-01 13:50:00 by The Svin
Since nobody has given a try to "Time" task yet I show this really slappy code so anybody could laugh at me and teach me a lesson :) To do it faster and clearly ;) It's only partially solves the task, but give the basic idea of one of the ways to complit it. And there is obviously room for Ernie's work - to write "Time" macro wich could fill stack with secvence of time values for wsprintf usage. Time is in Russian format we display first day and then month Demo shows creation time of the module itself - I use it to give hints of how system file cache works - first time you compile it and run it'll display right time of creation but then after next compiling and running it may display the time of first creation. .586 .model flat,stdcall option casemap:none include C:\masm32\include\windows.inc include C:\masm32\include\user32.inc include C:\masm32\include\kernel32.inc includelib C:\masm32\lib\kernel32.lib includelib C:\masm32\lib\user32.lib .data tml db "File %s is created:",13,10 db "%02i.%02i.%i %02i:%02i:%02i",0 buffer db 256 dup(0) buffer2 db 256 dup(0) .data? wfd WIN32_FIND_DATA <> ft FILETIME <> syst SYSTEMTIME <> .code start: invoke GetModuleFileName,0,addr buffer,256 invoke FindFirstFile,addr buffer,addr wfd invoke FileTimeToLocalFileTime,addr wfd.ftCreationTime,addr ft invoke FileTimeToSystemTime,offset ft,addr syst mov ax,syst.wSecond mov esi,eax mov ax,syst.wMinute mov edi,eax mov ax,syst.wYear xor ecx,ecx mov cx,syst.wMonth xor edx,edx mov dx,syst.wDay xor ebx,ebx mov bx,syst.wHour invoke wsprintf,offset buffer2,offset tml,offset buffer,edx,ecx,eax,ebx,edi,esi invoke MessageBox,0,addr buffer2,0,0 call ExitProcess end start
Posted on 2001-02-02 03:38:00 by The Svin