I am currently working on the Rebar control and met a little problem. The Rebar control seems to redraw itself all the time when I try to resize the window (and the control), which slow down everything. But applications like IE and WinZip don't seem to have such problem. How do they do that? Here is my code:

.IF (uMsg == WM_CREATE)

mov iccex.dwSize, SIZEOF INITCOMMONCONTROLSEX
        mov iccex.dwICC, ICC_COOL_CLASSES or ICC_BAR_CLASSES

INVOKE InitCommonControlsEx, ADDR iccex

INVOKE CreateWindowEx, WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW, ADDR REBARCLASSNAME, NULL, \
               WS_CHILD or WS_VISIBLE or WS_CLIPSIBLINGS or WS_CLIPCHILDREN or WS_BORDER or \
               CCS_NODIVIDER or CCS_NOPARENTALIGN or RBS_BANDBORDERS or RBS_VARHEIGHT, \
               0, 0, 0, 0, hWin, NULL, hInstance, NULL
        mov hReBar, eax

INVOKE CreateWindowEx, NULL, ADDR TOOLBARCLASSNAME, NULL, \
               WS_CHILD or WS_VISIBLE or CCS_NOPARENTALIGN, 0, 0, 0, 0, \
               hReBar, NULL, hInstance, NULL
        mov hToolBar, eax

mov rbbi.cbSize, SIZEOF REBARBANDINFO
        mov rbbi.fMask, RBBIM_SIZE or RBBIM_CHILD or RBBIM_CHILDSIZE or RBBIM_STYLE
        mov rbbi.fStyle, RBBS_BREAK or RBBS_GRIPPERALWAYS
        mov rbbi.cxMinChild, 0
        INVOKE GetWindowRect, hToolBar, ADDR rc
        mov eax, rc.bottom
        sub eax, rc.top
        mov rbbi.cyMinChild, eax
        mov rbbi.lx, 250
        push hToolBar
        pop rbbi.hwndChild
        INVOKE SendMessage, hReBar, RB_INSERTBAND, -1, ADDR rbbi

.ELSEIF (eax == WM_SIZE)

INVOKE GetWindowRect, hReBar, ADDR rc
        mov eax, rc.bottom
        sub eax, rc.top
        movzx ecx, WORD PTR 
        INVOKE MoveWindow, hReBar, 0, 0, ecx, eax, FALSE

.ENDIF
edit: added code tags Hiro This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 2/6/2001 7:52:22 AM
Posted on 2001-02-06 07:46:00 by RVA
I'm sorry, the eax above should be uMsg. i.e. .ELSEIF (uMsg == WM_SIZE)
Posted on 2001-02-06 07:51:00 by RVA
Do you have any other calls to WM_SIZE? For example, when I use the rebar I trap the WM_NOTIFY to tell if the rebar resized, so I can adjust other things. The trouble is that could set off a near-infinate sequence, moving the main window moves a rebar, which calls WM_SIZE, which moves a rebar, which calls WM_SIZE, which moves a rebar, which calls WM_SIZE, which moves a rebar, which calls WM_SIZE.... You get the idea. My solotion for this isn't elegant, but it's always worked. Make a global flag NoSize. Set it FALSE in WM_CREATE. The first thing WM_SIZE will do is check this flag, and if TRUE, skip the resize code. Immediatly after that, set NoSize to TRUE. That way, any self-generated WM_SIZE messages gt ignored. Just before WM_SIZE is complete, re-set the flag. This message was edited by Ernie, on 2/6/2001 11:47:42 AM
Posted on 2001-02-06 11:46:00 by Ernie
Thanks Ernie. I found out the problem was on the toolbar. Toolbar controls that are hosted by rebar controls must set CCS_NORESIZE and CCS_NOPARENTALIGN styles because the rebar control sizes and positions the toolbar.
Posted on 2001-02-06 22:59:00 by RVA