Several months ago I wrote an assembler editor with syntax highlighting, the program worked ok, but the highlighting was slow, because I was using EM_SETCHARFORMAT, which is very slow and then Iczelion pointed me to use to use DrawText instead, I was able keep my existing highlighting routine and the result was a sucess. My highlighting routine and Iczelion's are different, but the results are about the same. I disagree with some of the folks about highlighted text, to me its easier on the eyes if you use the proper font, plus it helps to catch typing errors. I do agree that everone has their own thoughts about what they would like to see in a programmers editor, I tried several and didn't like any of them, thats why I wrote my own. I will be adding a template routine to generate code for common and custom controls e.g. Toolbars, Ownerdrawn controls etc. Anyhow the program is posted on Icelion's web page as: AsmEdit V3, if you have the time or desire download it and see what you think. Let me know if it would be worth turning into a IDE. BTW What is RAD Ewayne
Posted on 2001-02-15 11:48:00 by Ewayne
Rapid Application Development commonplace for all that is a visual aid at programming e.g. the forms editor in Visual Basic
Posted on 2001-02-15 12:06:00 by Hiroshimator
Nice editor Ewayne, but I can't change the background to Black? This is on NT4 - I'll try it on Win2K when I get home. I'll also look at the code and see if I can find what's going on. Keep coding :) bitRAKE
Posted on 2001-02-15 16:07:00 by bitRAKE
I see what you mean, I just tried it and you can't change the primary text, text background, or the background colors. Strange about programming after you make a change, you never go back and test the things that you know will be ok. I'll fix the problem and if you would like, I'll just send you the source and exec. I'll wait to have Iczelion repost it, because there might be some more bugs. Ewayne
Posted on 2001-02-15 16:46:00 by Ewayne
Ewayne, Just downloaded the editor and had a quick play and it looks great, I could not change the background colour and text but I may have missed something. Nice professional looking app, compliments. hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-02-15 18:56:00 by hutch--
Life has taught me to be patient - I can wait for the repost if I can't fix it myself :) I like to read the code, anyway :) bitRAKE
Posted on 2001-02-15 20:59:00 by bitRAKE

Sorry about the bug, the fix is at line 2973.

.if wmsg == WM_PAINT || wmsg == WM_ACTIVATE   (BAD)

Remove the  || wmsg == WM_ACTIVATE

.if wmsg == WM_PAINT                          (GOOD)

It turned off a flag that I needed when I opened or closed the ChooseColor dialog.
Ewayne
Posted on 2001-02-15 22:19:00 by Ewayne
Hi Ewayne, very good work for the IDE.
Posted on 2001-02-16 16:46:00 by Vom-bonjour:-()
Ewayne, Just downloaded your program and set it up. Nice job, I like the goto procedure and the flexibility of control over the fonts and highlighting. Lots of features, some may not be needed. I actually built a project, assembled it and ran it, I'm impressed. Bitch list. You should have the capability to let the user build and select his own program templates for new projects. You should have a Main item just for projects e.g. Projects > New > Existing and have the ability to remove the project. Your code is hard to follow, or maybe its just me. You need to add the ability to edit the Resource file in your Project dialog like you do for the Batch, Make, and Source. Maybe add a work space. The layout of the program could be changed, to make it look more professional. Some RAD would be nice. Just my thoughts. Other then that I like it, I'm going to start using your program as my main editor amd maybe I can come up with some ideas to help you turn it in to a competitive IDE. Keep coding and send me your updates. Bitman
Posted on 2001-02-17 11:19:00 by Bitman